We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

Hello all,

We are traveling for 10 nights and 11 days to the area. 2 kids 13 and 10.

I was wondering if we should add it in to our itinerary a visit to Lake Powell as I recently heard about it. Current we are driving from Vegas (2 nights) to Zion 2 nights, 2 nights in Bryce, 1 night in Grand Canyon, 2 nights in Sedona and 1 night in Phoenix (flight departs late at night).

Should we take one night away from Bryce or Sedona and go to Lake Powell for the night either before or after grand canyon? I understand we can't stay on a houseboat as they all seem to have minimum nights, but I imagine we can stay at a hotel or resort. IS it worth the detour and if so, which place should we take the night away from?

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

www.visitpageaz.com

Research Page. It's worth a couple of nights. The raft trip there is one of the most popular activities in AZ.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Drop a night at Bryce and a night at GCNP to gain two. Not sure when you're traveling, but I'd drop the night at PHX to add another one to Sedona too.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

I wouldn't divert to Lake Powell unless you plan on actually being on the water. Yes there is a beach, but I would at least take a tour to Rainbow Bridge or rent your own boat to go tubing or wake boarding. There are other things in the area to visit like Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, and the rafting trip already mentioned. Your itinerary already seems quite packed and you'll be on the go even more, but you could drop a night a Bryce and/or Vegas and check out the area before driving to Grand Canyon.

To me it boils down to how much you want to be changing hotels and driving. You're already planning on 6 different destinations within 10 days. Adding Lake Powell would be one more.

With children that age, they would probably love playing in the water and rafting. Usually kids will have more fun being active, climbing on rocks, short hikes, playing in water than they will be awed by scenic viewpoints. Might be worth the schedule change.

A nice resort in the area is Amangiri. Very expensive though.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 16:24
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

Yes, I'd add a night to Page not so much for Lake Powell (you won't have the time for many activities) but for Horseshoe Bend, Antelope canyons and Glen Canyon Dam.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

Add a night or take a night from Bryce and move it to Page makes the most sense.

Also Bryce to South Rim is a 6 hr drive so Page is the mid point which then breaks up the drive.

The Hague, The...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

We are also heading that way with our two boys aged 9 and 11. Could you let me know what the temperature is like there now and if the water sports etc are open.

Many Thanks

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

The two-week forecast for Page, AZ shows good weather, highs near 80 F (27 C), lows in the lower 50s (10-12 C).

Current water temperature is right at about 51 F (a little over 10 C), so it will be cold. But all water sports are open for business.

7. Re: Should we add Lake Powell for 1 night before/after Grand Can

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16