We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tornado Update

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Tornado Update

Highways 8 & 21 have been re-opened to traffic this morning, however the centre of town remains closed to the public.

14 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tornado Update

Hi RescueTeam,

Thanks for the UPDATE much appreciated... hope that the good folks of Goderich know how much the rest of the Province is concerned about them...

I know that Goderich is "up your way"... so...

Any news on how the town fared during the second round of Thunderstorms and Active Weather (Heavy Rain - Hail - High Winds) that rolled thru on Wednesday?

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tornado Update

Hi Wine-4-2;

From what I've heard on the local radio, the town faired rather well, considering.

Best Regards

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tornado Update

I've been up in Goderich working with the Town on their recovery since Tuesday. It is absolutely devastating to see what happened in 13 seconds. The community has pulled together in a fantastic way, donations for everything have been overwhelming. There was a lot of anxiety on Wednesday night when there were more tornado warnings. There was a meeting at the arena with the business owners and before the meeitng started, everyone had to move downstairs because of the new warnings. The storms that night were very normal storms, nothing like what was experienced south of Goderich. Apparently there was a sighting of a tornado that evening between Bayfield and St. Joseph, about 20 minutes south, but didn't touch down.

The town has begun the long arduous task of trying to rebuild.

No exaggerating, they are receiving messages of concern and well wishes from around the world.

You're right that Hwy. 8 & 21 re-opened today, but there is still a large police presence to restrict the public from entering the downtown area.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tornado Update

When heading towards Toronto or Niagara I always turn on AM 680 news for the latest traffic updates. Signal is very strong, usually can pick it up right after crossing the Blue Water bridge, sometimes its not very clear for the first 20 mins but then comes in strong even during the daylight hours.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tornado Update

You're right, Stillsmoking, AM680 has great traffic updates every 10 minutes, but I'm not sure how that relates to the tornado update in Goderich?

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tornado Update

I was wondering about that as well...

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tornado Update

Oh wow, its Tornado and not Toronto

I gotta lay off the booze, lol

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tornado Update

You think ?

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Tornado Update

What a shock to see the devestation coursed in your pretty town I have visited Goderich twice in the past 5yrs as my brother lived there.My thoughts and prayers are with all the residents .

Kathleen Grayson. Yorkshire. ENGLAND.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tornado Update

The "State of Emergency" remains in place. Many parts of downtown Goderich will remain fenced off and inaccessible.

toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/…

Reply to: Tornado Update
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Goderich
Recent Conversations