We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Which Isabela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

We are looking to spend a few nights on a beautiful beach during our visit to PR. We were looking into the Villa Tropical Apartments on Shacks Island. Is this our best bet? We have ruled out the islands for the unreliable ferries and have already been to the rainforest and a biobay on our last trip. Are we better off going here or somewhere in the more east direction?

Also, if we do pick Isabella is there anything we should do or see on our ride from San Juan?

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

You can stop at the Camuy Caves on your way, but make sure to be there early before 10 am. Nice horseback riding in Isabela at Tropical Trail Rides.

Kansas
Level Contributor
299 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

If you have already done Luquillo/Fajardo trying the Northwest/West would be a great idea. I enjoyed the Aguadilla area (right above Crash Boat Beach) because it was an easy drive to the Rincon and Isabella areas. A stop at Mar Chiquita Beach and the black sand beach near Barconelleta would be fun along the way. If you are into food a detour inland to Guavate to eat lechon and experience the party during weekends would be fun as well.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

We won't be able to do the horseback riding but the caves and beaches sound interesting. How far of a detour off the highway would each of those be? Also, what more can you tell me about the black sand beach? the only one that comes up on google.com is in Vieques!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Camuy Caves is a 20 (?) min off the highway. It is an organized tour.

If you want more natural setting, Cueva del Indio is about 10 mins off the highway or Cueva Ventana is about 15 mins off the highway (you need flashlights for this one).

There is a black sand beach associated with Hacienda Esperanza. There is also one just west of there at La Boca sector. These are about 15 mins from the highway. Only problem is the area is known for car breakins, so I don't know if I would recommend it with all your stuff in the car.

ps- watch you car at Shack's beach also.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Shacks can be great..also Jobos and in the Rincon area there is steps..when calm great snorking!

Agree with flowerfarm on the cave trips..my two favs are Cueva del Indio and Cueva del Ventana of road 10 from Arecibo in direction of Utuado..both of these parking areas are safe (relative term of course) for you to park IF you have already prior to getting there made you car uninteresting...i.e. stuff all in the trunk!

puertoricodaytrips.com has these both with great mapping info.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Hmmm,

These things all look pretty cool! I am going to be eight months pregnant so I think that the more difficult caves with the flashlights are out. We would like to do the drive in the best way though so that we can maybe see the other small caves, beautiful beaches, etc. Is there a specific driving route that we should follow so that we hit the best spots? Someone help me plan an itinerary!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Hummm-8 months pregnant- I don't know for sure, but there may be safety rules for the Camuy Caves also (I think I remember no pregnant people allowed, but call and ask). It can be slippery in the caves.

If you have all day to do the drive, you can take some coastal roads. RT 681 is beautiful.

Kansas
Level Contributor
299 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Here are the GPS coordiantes I used to find the Black Sand beach.

18°28'58.68"N

66°31'46.14"W

If I recall correctly I got here by going to Playa Esperanza (exit PR685 off of PR22 and winding around a bit) and following that dirt road pretty much to the end. GPS for Playa Esperanza entrance is

18°28'41.96"N

66°31'21.52"W

Cave of the Swallows and Mar Chiquita beach are in that same area. Mar Chiquita was one of my favorites and would be pretty easy access for 8 months pregnant.

I went to another nearby that is easier driving but wasn't anywhere as nice. You get to it by just driving through Barceloneta on Ave. Boca util you hit the beach.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

The road to Playa Esperanza might be a bit too bumpy/rutted for an 8 month pregnant person. It was pretty bad when I was there. But maybe it has been regraded.

Stick to the one at La Boca, though it is not as pretty as the one at Playa Esperanza.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beaches? Isabella or Luquillo/Farjado direction?

Thanks for the information! Does Camuy Caves have a website? I can't seem to find one. I was thinking we could do the Cueva del Indio instead since that seems to be one that we do on our own....

What is Cave of the Swallows?

Get answers to your questions about Isabela