We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing a bike to cuba

Sydney, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
bringing a bike to cuba

Heading to Rancho Luna shortly. Would like to bring a bicycle with me to use while there and leave it there when I come home. Is there a charge by airlines to bring it? and if so, how much? We are flying cubana airlines.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

Check with on your ticket as you are often allowed to bring sporting equipment but I would not be surprised if you will be charged a fee for a bicycle.

You may have more hassels with leaving it behind but others may have more insight to this than myself. I am assuming you should claim this when entering the country that you are leaving it and pay the tax if required. I have heard horror stories of those who have said the bike was lost or stolen.

When we were there they definately needed new pool ques and pockets for the pool table. We played everyday and the ques were on their last legs. I did take down chalk and a triangle for setting up the balls.

This is one of my favorite little resorts. I am very jealous that you are going ...LOL I miss my friends there very much.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

Almost all airlines now charge a fee for bicycles. Say it is for yourself to ride around and if they try to charge you when you leave the country, say it was stolen.

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

I know other folks who have done it and they never seem to have a problem. I don't know how they declare it.

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

BTW, taking down some spare parts would help out a lot too.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

There is an organization in Toronto that sends bicycles to Cuba on a regular basis – they may have some information that could be helpful to you:

http://www.bikesforcuba.com/

Why anyone would recommend lying to Aduana and potentially having a record on their file is beyond me! That attitude has gotten other TA members in a whole pack of trouble and caused them to be searched on their next trip into Cuba, and having their donations confiscated. As well, that inherently blames Cubans for your own dishonesty.

Good luck capebret0ngirl and let up know how you get along!

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

It has been done as far as saying it was stolen. The last experience we seen was they held the people until the very end before boarding. They were demanding they show either a police report of the bike being stolen or pay the duty/tax on it. The fellow told them he only had a few cents left and placed it on the counter. We didn't see him after that until boarding as he was the last to board the plane.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

I definately agree with Madrugada on this issue.

It is not worth the hassle to me. If you are taking it claim it properly. Thank you for the contact information Madrugada. I will definately file this away in case I need this in the future.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

That bikesforcuba project sounds really great! There are a few organizations that have the capacity to get things into the hands of people who need them, and it is good to let others know about them. Heck, if anyone from Toronto is going to Holguin, they might want to think about taking a bike with them through bikesforcuba. There is no cost involved, according to their website.

I believe that wowcuba from PEI may have had a similar project in the past in support of some of Cuba's national team cyclists.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

I will have to check that site out. Sounds really interesting. I use to take bags down for NJT so a bike isn't that far off. We go down once or twice a year depending. Mind you we are not going to Holguin but worth a look see.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing a bike to cuba

I have brought over a dozen bicycles to Cuba and have never once been questioned by Aduana. The bike box comes straight through Customs, I throw it onto the roof of the taxi and I'm outta there, no big deal.

This has been in Havana and Varadero, really surprised to hear that other airports question the bike upon entry...

Cheers,

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Cienfuegos