We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Cruise ship docks Sat March 1, 2014. Party of four would like transportation with driver from cruise ship terminal to Trinidad and return (rather than taking the ship's excursion).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Hola,

Ask around for a taxi when you arrive. It shouldn't be too much trouble to hire a driver. There will likely be several cars there waiting for hire. No big deal.

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Thanks Terry. Any idea of the cost? I'm thinking that it's going to be 2 hours each way, plus maybe 3 hours in the town for a total of 7 hours of his time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Anything from 80CUC to 200CUC depending on your negotiating skills.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

If you pay 200 cuc, that would mean your negotiating skills are Zero! Lol

As CCO mentioned, ask around when you arrive.

You should easily beat the crowd to Trinidad.

Enjoy, ans Salud!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Actually Bob many people pay proportionately (taken into the account the extra distance) similar or even more than 200 CUC per car load for day trips to Havana from Varadero - plus tips - to be taken past the same handful of sights that everyone else is taken to. And that's with the "best" guides in Cuba (note everybody using a guide for the first time always manages to find the "best'!

But I'm not going to comment on their negotiating skills either - just wanted to give a range. personally I wouldn't pay more than 60. Anyway we all know that for Torontonians on cruise ship holidays money is irrelevant don't we?

Edited: 16 July 2013, 07:25
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Hey Fidel, let's just keep it quiet about how loaded all Torontonians are. Don't want the world to find out.......

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Let's see: 4 hours riding in a taxi to have 3-4 hours in Trinidad vs. 8 hours to explore Cienfuegos? My choice would be different than the organization profiting from the Trinidad trip. But then, I am probably not your typical tourist as I prefer Cienfuegos to Trinidad even without considering the time in the taxi.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

Is it true that if you take the ship's excursion and you are late returning to the ship that they will wait for you. But on the other hand, if you go off on your own and return late, you're out of luck as the ship will leave without you?

I agree with the previous post, I think I would just stick to exploring Cienfuegos, having more time to relax, than driving for hours. Keeping a schedule can be difficult when you have to rely on others. Who knows what can happen on the road.

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

I think a taxi could do Cienfuegoes-Trinidad in well under 2 hours. 60-90 minutes would be my estimate.

Make sure you see the taxi you are taking before committing to anything. Some drivers drive junk. Not classic cars, just junk!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need transportation from Cienfuegos to Trinidad

#6 apologies for my lack of discretion DUHCAR!

"Make sure you see the taxi you are taking before committing to anything. "

Absolutely - excellent advice.