We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

We are planning a family trip to Maui, HI in July 2008. There will be 13 of us, ages ranging from 2 youngsters 2 & 4, 4 20 + year olds and 5 40+ year olds and 2 grandparents in 70's. We would like to have kitchen facilities so as to save on eating, and possibly 2 bedroom units with sofa for sleeping. Would like to get 3 units. We will be staying for 7 days. Would like to be near as possible to beach. Sounds like we will need to rent a vehicle of some kind to see the rest of the island. From reading the reviews Willea and Maalea seem like the best. Is that right? Or any other suggestions? What portion of Maui has the least rain. Any other help such as ideas of where to stay, what to see, what to do, eat, buying groceries. All information will be greatly appreciated as there is a lot of ages and a lot of planning that needs to start. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

South Maui does tend to get a little less rain. Wailea is a wonderful area to stay in. We like Wailea Ekahi Village. You can see some units for rent by owner at mauiownercondos.com. It's a good way to go because then you know what you are getting when renting a condo. It's a great complex for kids, lots of sprawling grass, beautiful grounds and pools as well as located on an excellent beach, Keawakapoo. Wailea does tend to be a little spendy though.

West Maui is great too an quite frankly I like the views from there a little better. We used to stay at The Mahana with our son when he was a todller and loved it. You can look at units on VRBO. The only drawback is the beach is not fabulous for swimming because of reef directly out front. However the units are all oceanfront and about as close to the water as you can get. The also have a large oceanfront pool as well. No water slides for kids or anything but it is a nice large pool.

We always make a quick stop at Costco after we pick up our rental car and yes you will definately want a rental car.

We now stay at Hale Pau Hana in South Kihei and love it there. Great oceanfront complex and on a fabulous beach. hphresort.com for unit information and rates.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

Oooh! You are going to have FUN!

First of all, I'd get more than one vehicle. You won't ALL always want to go the same places at the same times.

How do you plan to split up into the lodgings? Figure that out before you settle on only 2-BR units. You might end up with a mix that includes 1-BRs (They often sleep four and have two baths.) and 3- BRs.

There is a BIG difference in quality and price between Wailea ($$$)and Maalea ($). Don't forget to look at South Kihei, too. All of these are in South Maui, with easiest access to the rest of the island. Kihei has several groceries and many small restaurants and take-out places.

Your 20-somethings will probably migrate up to West Maui to Lahaina and Kaanapali in the evenings.

In July, weather will be very warm and should be pretty dry. Showers will prove brief (and welcome).

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

I should have posted that we had decided how the 3 unit condos/units were going to be divided by people. Yes, we want definitely to have two bedrooms in one unit with queen or like size beds. That is for 2 couples. Then one of the units will have the little ones ages 2 & 4 plus parents (20+ yr. old) and one grandparent 40+. So that may need the larger unit. Also, the 70 + grandparents are taking a unit with two single adult 40 + that are siblings. So that may or may not need a 3 bedroom unit. So that would total the 3 units. . That is true about the young folks as I think I have heard that mentioned already and since there are 2 gr. grandparents and 1 grandparent -- I am sure a visit to Lahani will be done. I sure do appreciate what is being given to us already. Keep up the good work. We need the words of advice since this is our first time ever to Hawaii. Thanks.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

I would eliminate Maalea from your list completely in your case. It's very windy (so windy I can feel the car moving on the highway).

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

The big question is what is your budget per night? Everything depends on that. If you want to stay in Wailea in a condo, Wailea Beach Villa's are the newest and nicest, on Wailea beach at about $1100 a night and up-if you are all splitting the costs, this isn't too bad. You can stay in South Kihei which is next to Wailea and find a nice 2 bedroom condo for $225-350 a night. You can narrow down your choices by going on Wizardpub.com, click Maui and it will show you all the condo's and hotels in Maui, their ariel views and brief discription. After you narrow it down this way, you can go on sites like vrbo.com to check specific condo units. Make sure you see current pictures of the condo before you book. Another great resource is Mauiinfosource.com and it has everything on there from beaches, dining, shopping, plus maps of these. Also check my trip report for things to do with kids, I recommend everything except for the Iao Valley Nature Center. Have fun! Aloha!

6. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2007, 20:20
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

You can get an overview of South Maui condos by looking at the websites for the agencies that rent there: Ali'i Resorts, Condominium Rentals Hawaii, Maui Condo & Home.

Once you zero in on some complexes that interest you, look for individual units in those complexes that you can rent direct from owners. That way you will know exactly which units your group will be using -- not be assigned at random by an agency (which always has some "dogs" in its rental pool). When you look at the agency rack rates, deduct 20% to get close to what an owner should be charging.

Now it's time for you to do your homework and get back to us for opinions on complexes.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions for looking for a complex to stay in. Yes, I do have my homework cut out for us. I will look into all the suggestions made. I will be sure to get back to you all after I look them all over. I am thinking that looking over all the information may take me until next week to get back to you with more questions. Thanks again as the information will be of great assistance to us. In the meantime keep the knowledge rolling in ! We appreciate it!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

Hello to everyone out there! Back on and have done our homework from the great help above. One question: Being new to this area I don't know why the person from Ireland was taken off. Anyway aside from that -- I would like continued information from those of you that have been recently to Maui. All information has and will be very helpful to us. Thank you!

10. Re: Help for a family first trip to Maui, HI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2007, 03:39
Get answers to your questions about Wailea
Recent Conversations