We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
440 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

My husband and I are taking our college-age daughter to Hawaii. She has traveled a bit and seems unimpressed by luxury, and wants stuff to do. She likes to go running. I want to stay at a nice hotel, and if possible, have some privacy. Looking at the Grand Wailea and the Fairmont. I'm leaning towards the Fairmont based on their separate living room, so daughter can be on the sofa bed.

Somewhat concerned that she may be completely bored in the hotels, or that they may be too focused on "luxury" and not geared toward having fun.

So, I want romance and some luxury, but don't want to deal with daughter's demands for entertainment when she's tired of the beach. Which of these hotels would you recommend??

(FYI, we plan on doing the Road to Hana, Volcano bike tour).

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

do you plan on not letting your daughter venture off on her own off hotel property

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

If someone really doesn't want to go I wouldn't make them. Our daughter was also college age when she stopped going on vacation with us.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

I would think your daughter will be less bored at the Grand Wailea since they have great pools with slides, etc. Guess she will have to like water though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

It is impossible to get bored at the Grand Wailea because of the pools. If you really want the Fairmont just have the hotel set her up with activities. There is no shortage of activities on Maui!

For example, whale watch (depending on what time of year you go)

She can go on snorkel trips. Van tour to Hana, horse back riding, A Star gazers tour. There are so many things do do on Maui!

If you aren't set on South Maui you could also do the Hyatt at Kaanapali beach. They have a great pool, Whalers Village, restaurants,the Hyatt also has it's own boat tours and tour of the stars. It is also walkable to Black Rock. There is just more to do in Kaanapali. I love South Maui and we stayed at the grand Wailea there and the Hyatt in Kaanapali.There is just more to do in Kaanapali. Both hotels you are considering are great though.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
440 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

Just to clarify - This is our last trip together as a family before graduation, and D chose the destination. The rest of the trip is more active and geared totally towards her, but Maui is the place DH & I get to relax a bit.

As far as letting her wonder off property on her own, it would be nice, but she's not normally inclined to such independence, unless she's running.

Therefore, we need the hotel to offer something that will interest her while we relax.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

Then I would say the Grand Wailea or the Hyatt. You can relax at any of the hotels. But the GW does tend to be crowded. The Hyatt was mess crowded while we were there.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

Unless you are going in winter/early spring (weather concerns), the Ritz-Carleton in Kapalua might be better for all of you. It's just been refurbished. It's in West Maui, nearer to the 'action' around buzzier Lahaina/Kaanapali. (That does put you about as far from Haleakala and Hana as you can get, but Maui is a small island. Wailea is less driving time to Kahului, where you start on the roads to those two places.)

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

I would go for The Grand Wailea, no one can resist water slides. There is a place for her to run right out front on the beach path.

By the way, if she doesn't want to go I could take her place;)

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

I've spent a fair amount of time at the Kea Lani. From my perspective your daughter might enjoy it more. I seriously doubt the pools at GW would be a big attraction for a college student. The Kea Lani suites are very nice. The concierge service has always been helpful. The spa there is also very nice (but not as GREAT as the GW spa).

And... seems every time we've been at the Kea Lani there are celebrity sightings (if that interests her at all). Last year we thought we saw Orlando Bloom - when we returned from vacation, sure enough there he was in PEOPLE. Both hotels are right on the beach path so she can run.

Just my 2 cents.

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Wailea or Fairmont - Cynical college student in tow

I used to live up the mountain overlooking Wailea and we had plenty of visitors, including my wife's kids who were about college age. They were very athletic and enjoyed swimming, diving, etc..

But I can see how a young woman of that age (especially the cynical kind -- but aren't they all?)

could be bored in this resort area. There is some high end shopping and a bit of night life. If she likes to hang at the beach or pool, either of these hotels are great. I feel Wailea is pretty much on the luxury side.

When you go to Hana or the Haleakala bike thing, she'll probably like the scene at Paia -- it's pretty funky. That side of the island is more downscale. She might enjoy Lahaina, it still has some rough edges (not the dangerous kinds.)

Plenty of good, safe running around Wailea.

Check on the bike trip before you go, one or two of the outfits were closed down for safety reasons.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI