We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Tx
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Honeymooning in November.....planning on 5 nts. Maui, 5 nts. Kauai, 2 nts. Oahu.

Looking for nice places to stay, but prefer smaller places with fewer crowds.

Don't think I can afford Hana. Friends suggested Wailea & Poipu on Kauia.

Suggestions?

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Budget???

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
912 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

In Kauai, we stayed at the Hilton (see my review from 11/2006). http://tinyurl.com/5fz2og

We had a very nice room and the location was great!

We are going to Maui in December 2008 and will be staying at the Maui Seaside hotel http://seasidehotelshawaii.com/

I also found this website for Maui hotels

http://www.mauimapp.com/hotels.htm

Good luck and Aloha!

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Also try wizardpub.com for locations.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

I'd probably stay Oahu slightly longer and pick between Maui and Kauai. But you didn't ask that!

If Hotel Hana is too dear, you would need to stay in a condo in Wailea; the hotels there are as much or more than Hana. Likely the same story at Poipu.

There are less expensive hotels on Maui -- in Kaanapali. Don't know if the rates are still 'introductory' at the refurbished Ritz Carlton in Kapalua.

In November 'north' would be good on either island.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Castle Poipu Shores on Kauai. They are condo's on a seacliff...breathtaking views and short walk to Brennecke beach and Poipu beach.

Tx
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Sorry, I'm shooting for $300/nt. average.

Thanks for the suggestions & leads.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

Right in your price range

castleresorts.com/Home/…poipu-shores

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

We just returned from Maui on Monday and LOVED the place we stayed. It may be a bit too cheap for you (apartments are $80-$100 per night).

PU'UKOA RENTALS

http://www.donnachameleon.com/Puukoa.html

It's quiet and non-touristy. You need to drive as it's a bit out of the way, but we had a Mustang so it was lots of fun to drive around. It's right off Hana Highway before the curvy part.

Also, you can see tons of stars there. The vog (volcanic smog) barely touched the place while in Kaanapali the sky was an icky, yucky grey.

The place is in Haiku and is by the windsurfer beach (I can't remember the name), Paia (lot's of great restaurants and a fantastic, inexpensive health food store called Mana Foods), and Mama's Fish House.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

We really loved Kiahuna Plantation during our honeymoon. Check out the units on vrbo.com and try to find a building that is away from the road if you go this route. Also, check out Kuhio Shores. This condo is more high rise but right next to the Beach House restaurant and a lovely little snorkeling beach. Check with those wonderful people on the Kauai Forum to see what kind of construction is going on in the area.

Wailea might not be within your price point but do check out the condos of South Kihei which are along the Kamaole beaches - again check wizardpub.com for locations. The road is quieter in this area and you'll be a short walk from Wailea and all of its restaurants and shopping.

If you stay 2 nights on Oahu, you'll only have one useful day so just keep that in the back of your mind. Best wishes.

South Bend
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on Maui & Kauai

One of our favorite places to stay on Maui is the Hooilo House, a wonderful B&B located in a west side (Lahaina) neighborhood setting. Also there are other places to stay in Hana other than the hotel - check out Hamoa Bay Bungalow and also Hana Oceanfront. The west side of the island may be the better choice at that time of year though due to rain in the north.

On Kauai I would definitely stay on the south side at that time of year. Kuhio Shores is a good choice as previously mentioned, just make sure you see recent photos as some units have been updated and some have not. Also there is a cute B&B that I have been meaning to check out that gets good reviews called Kauai Banyan Inn you might want to check out.

Get answers to your questions about Wailea