We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in South Maui

Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in South Maui

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a nice 2 bedroom condo in South Maui for Christmas? I know I am late in planning and am turning to all of you in the TA world as my last hope? My budget can be stretched to over $650/night but we really want a condo that is quiet and don't want the big hotels.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,650 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas in South Maui

You may have to gear down a little and/or try the condos across from the beaches:

In Wailea: The Palms or Grand Champions?

In South Kihei: Mana Kai Maui, Kihei Surfside, Maui Hill, Maui Kamaole, Kamaole Sands. (I'm guessing you've already tried Hale Pau Hana, which is beachfront.) Hmmm...Sugar Beach?

Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Thanks ChiSue but CgyCan put me on to a great site. The people at Villas of Hawaii actually have condos at both Makena Surf and Wailea Beach Villas for theholidays. They were very friendly as well which is something that I can't say for some of the others that I tired. I think I will book Makena Surf as the photos look amazing and it is much closer to the beach than the more expensive Wailea Beach Villas. Any thoughts on the two places?

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Darn Canadians! Bet you're going to wear speedos on the beach to mock me too. Don't make them pink!

Never stayed there, but I've also heard the Makena Surf is great. Check around sites on prices.

Good luck Franglish!

Maui
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Both resorts are very very nice, definitely on the upper end of the condos on Maui. Makena Surf is quieter and definitely closer to the beach. The beach at Makena is almost private (there are no actual private beaches allowed in Hawaii) so there are never many crowds, even during the big holidays. There are two pools which anyone can use as well as Tennis courts on the property. There are two herb gardens that guests and residents can use that most people do not know about. You will need a car for shopping and dining. Wailea Beach Villas is newer and right in Wailea. You can easily walk to most of the hotels on the strip and the Shops at Wailea are right in front of the property. There are also two pools and the one right down by the beach is for adults only. The beach is the one draw back of this resort. It is the same beach that all the big hotels are located on so it is very crowded. It isn't great for snorkeling but fine for swimming and body surfing. Since you did not want the big hotels as you mentioned, I think you would like Makena Surf better. Just please do not wear a pink speedo. One is enough on the island! lol

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,650 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Oh, that's great! Both are excellent.

There is something in the back of my mind about some remodeling construction at Makena Surf. ASK about that! MS would be my first choice for quiet and uncrowded. You are down at the very southern end of the resorts. It's low-rise, low-density. (If we'd had more to invest when we bought at Maui Kamaole, we would have bought at MS.)

WBV is only a few years old. It's high-rise, not terribly high-density but somewhat. Not 'Hawaiian' in appearance. It is centrally located for Shops At Wailea and the big resort hotels surroundng it. It is a shorter run for groceries in Kihei! (Safeway on Piilani Hwy. or Foodland on Kihei Road)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Christmas in South Maui

you might want to check www.hphresort.com

if you can get space there -- all oceanfront it will be a lot less then the 650 per nite you are willing to spend

Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Thanks Lougee1043 for the HPH link but this weekend we booked now at Makena Surf through Villas of Hawaii. I did look at HPH before and didn't really want a high rise and they don't have many 2 bedrooms. Plus the 2 bedrooms at Makena Surf are almost twice the size (and I know someone will probably tell me that they are twice the price too). I had read about the renovations and asked Villas of Hawaii when I was booking. All renovations have to be finished before Thanksgiving (US - not our early Cdn. one) and can't start up again until the middle of April. We are happy with our choice and got a renewly renovated condo with great photos taken this year (I had reviewed some the other postings on old pictures from vrbo.com places and knew to ask for this). Now I just have to figure out where to eat and buy my groceries and how to rent my car through Costco. I know there are a bunch of great postings on these subjects that I am going to research. Thanks everyone for all your help. What a great website.

Maui
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Congrats on finding a condo at Makena Surf. You will love it. A great place to eat that is really close to Makena Surf is the Sea Watch at the Wailea Golf Course. All of the meals are great but the weekend Brunch is really good. Of course there is always the plate lunch guy on the road just down the street that is good too. Enjoy and Mele Kalikimaka.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Fran you made a great choice at the MS! You are going to have a wonderful time.

Here's hoping you'll catch the GW fireworks at New Year's if you're still there.

(With that budget, there's no corner space for the Caddy in one of those two condos? :) )

Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Christmas in South Maui

Thanks Caddy,

Looking forward to the fireworks on New Year's Eve. Sorry, we just can't spare a single inch of our 2 bedroom condo for you this year. Hope to see the pink speedo on the beach though :)