We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kai Malu?

Vancouver, BC
6 posts
Save Topic
Kai Malu?

I will be traveling with my family (2 adults, 2 yr old, infant) and my parents (2 adults) to Maui in late November and have been scouring VRBO and the like for condo or private home accommodations that will work for us. Our priorities are the following:

1) Walking distance to a swimming beach

2) Walking distance to amenities (coffee!)

3) Washer/dryer in house

4) Ocean view

5) 3 bedrooms

6) Spacious

7) Access to a pool

8) Kid-friendly

I have found a private home rental in a resort village called Kai Malu in Wailea. Does anyone have any insider info on this complex and can vouch for whether it would suit our vacation needs? Thanks so much!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kai Malu?

post the link to the property

I will check it out

Vancouver, BC
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kai Malu?

Thanks southmauiguy! Here is a link to the resort page: http://www.kaimaluatwailea.com. The VRBO # is 187269.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kai Malu?

It looks lovely - I can't be certain (as I've never been exactly there) but based on the map showing that it's on the other side of the golf course, I wouldn't be walking to the beach with all of my stuff. It is probably walkable, but not really close. You may want to ask if you have access to the shuttle.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kai Malu?

From what I can tell from the web-site, this complex is still under construction. Do you know how close this home is to the remaining construction? It really would be a long walk to the beach especially with children. It would be an uphill hike on the way back!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kai Malu?

When you rent directly from an owner I would ask for the exact address of the property and then google map it or map quest it. I have seen some VRBO that use other properties photos so I would rather see an independant map.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kai Malu?

Hey BCjennster, Its a great property, but it seems to be geared to long term versus tourists.

What is the exact addressa and name of the person handling the rental?

Thanks

BTW the place is nice and there is ZERO construction there.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kai Malu?

Ohh send the address and I will take a pic for you.

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Kai Malu?

Kai Malu is not for vacation rentals. It is residential only with minimum 6 month leases.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kai Malu?

Oops. I worry when they don't show pics of the unit in their vrbo page. Yes, always get an address from the owner. Most private homes are not licensed for vacation rentals and the neighbors probably get a little miffed at owners who rent out their homes on a weekly basis.

Your best bet would be to find a 3 bedroom condo maybe in South Kihei. I believe the Kamaole Sands has a few 3 bedroom units and is right across the street from the Kam III beach.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kai Malu?

Aloha,

If Makena is correct then any vacation rental in this complex is illegal......and therefore quite chancy.

Go woth a permitted, licensed, properly managed rental. Maui County cracked down on TVRs last year, and it continues to if there are complaints (like from neighbors).

It's not a bargain if you arrive to find yourselves locked out, or are there and the County investigates....and you not only have to find another place but lose the money you already paid.

Get answers to your questions about Wailea