We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

I found a rate of $199 for a 'moderate room' at the Fairmont, and $268 for a 'terrace mountain view king' at the Grand, for early October.

Has anyone stayed in either one of these type of rooms? Are they okay?

Which resort would you choose considering these rates?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Are you traveling with kids??

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

No, just my husband and I. Celebrating our 5th anniversary...

Level Contributor
37,613 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

We were at The Grand Wailia for lunch a couple of weeks ago, it is truly an awesome resort. The pools are beautiful, there is an adult only pool there and the property is on a very pretty beach. We didn't have a chance to see The Four Seasons or Kea Lani, next time! I would love to stay at The Grand Waiea sometime when my husband and I are in Maui alone.

I hope you have a great time in Maui, it's such a beautiful place to spend time! :)

Edited: 29 June 2011, 05:02
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

The Grand Wailea is known as a serious kid-magnet. A serious kid-magnet. For that reason, with a kid-less anniversary, I'd choose the Fairmont or the Marriott ... and perhaps go visit the Grand Wailea for a meal or such.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Thanks. Do you know if you can buy a day pass to use the fabulous pools at the Grand? They look like alot of fun!

Thibodaux,La
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

We have stayed at both of the resorts. I would not have a problem staying at either resorts with or without kids.

I think the Fairmont will be under renovations during that time - that is why you got a great price.

If the price is not an issue I would do the Grand.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

There have been a number of posts about the renovations at the Fairmont, so you may want to search "Fairmont" on the Maui Forum and take a look at the posts dated over the past month or so. There may also be info on their website.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Grand Wailea!

GW is a beautiful resort. Amazing pools, great beach. Lots of people complain about it being kids magnet. But I have been there twice, once without the kids, and once with the kids. We had a great vacation both times, and we are going back there this summer for a few nights (okay, the kids begged).

You are going in Oct, most of kids are in school.

I have not stayed at the Fairmont. But I like to resort hop at evenings, and have visited the Fairmont 2 or 3 times, it is beautiful too. But it is a very plain resort comparing to GW.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Depends what u are looking for. U got a great rate on fairmont those rooms are normally 400-500 a night and all their rooms are suites. Spacious. We leave tomm and will be there for our 2nd time. I think it depends on what U like as a person? Do u want hustle and bustle lots of people or a little more quiet. Grand wailea is beautiful I've gone there plebty of times for the spa and lunch. Its usually very busy. Even the restaurants. To me that is not a vacation. I like a balance. A little bit of crazy but not too crazy. I think fairmont is nice has families but also can be quiet enough if u need it to be. They also have an adult pool if u need to get away from kids. Also find out when renovations will be done. We went last year and got a good deal as they were just starting. We were fine tho. No issues.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea?

Have you considered the Marriott Wailea? Beautiful infinity pool.What's on special at Four Seasons? All Hawaiian beaches are public property.

If you want to a pool park, that's the GW. I'd skip Fairmont until the extensive (jack-hammer-type) renovations are over. You can, of course, stay one place and book spa, restaurant, bar in another hotel. It's rare that the GW or any hotel offers day passes, and they are expensive. GW is also a 'nickel and dime you' hotel; ask about the 'extras' before you book..