We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Baltimore,Maryland
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Hello To all,

I wanted to know from the pros......

I heard the Grand Wailea brunch is nice & Makena Beach & Golf Resort?

Which one is better between the two, and or the best bang for the buck?

Also, I going to be staying next to the Grand Wailes, but i didn"t pick to stay there because it's just to busy for me taste on vacation.

I really am looking for a more relax sunday brunch with all the fixings.

Thanks to all in advance.

Copper

Mentioned in this post
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
6,945 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,461 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Aloha,

Hey, Copper, long time no see! So you're back on to visit this year? Hope things are going better for you and yours, I recall you had to cancel last year.

I'd go with Makena..........more relaxed and less 'fou-fou' feel to me.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Baltimore,Maryland
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Hello sw, I'm back planning again. Trying to go next year. Thanks for advance. I thought that would be best for us.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Do make reservations for Makena. It will fill up.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Not only is the Makena Beach and Golf Resort the best place in south Maui for brunch, it's the best on the island!! It's expensive but well worth it. Make reservations like barefoot said, it could get rather busy!!

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
5. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2011, 21:05
bothell, wa
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Makena Beach and Golf Resort was great last year when we stayed for one night when we had a issue with our return flight. Beautiful service and kick back feel. Sure it needs a face lift, but the aloha spirit was awesome.

Glad to hear they have a brunch. We will hit that up before the beach!!

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

Just remember, the brunch in Makena is only on Sunday's.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

There is a continental breakfast buffett $19.95 and a reg breakfast buffett $25 in the Cafe Kiowai daily but this is not the elaborate Sunday Brunch.

makenaresortmaui.com/Dining/…molokini

I just reread..now I'm not sure if it is open daily. amberlo talked about it in his trip report. as being open each morning.

Call the resort.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 23:37
San Francisco
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

We've done the champagne brunch at this location for about 25 years now. The last time this last Sunday. The brunch is now a shadow of it's former (Prince Hotel) self. Starting with the "champagne", last Sunday we were served Roget Brut Sparkling Wine, which comes in a flat bottomed CREW TOP bottle and is just about an undrinkable swill. It is undoubtedly the cheapest thing available that you can try to pass of as champagne! Interesting enough half way through they switched to Chateau St. Michelle of Canned Food Outlet fame and also a pathetic imitation of something drinkable. I don't know what it would take to get these new folks to switch to something drinkable and inexpensive like Freixenet which would certainly fit into their $48 brunch price tag.

The rest of the buffet was simply skimpy and rarely refilled. So you had your choice of about 6 previously frozen crab legs instead of the bounty it used to be. One container of fish got down to 3 scraps and still wasn't refilled.

The most expensive ingredient, sashimi, was missing as were the large groups of celebrating locals that we used to see here. The poke selection was pathetic and down to two. There was not a single outstanding dessert in the place, and one was still partially frozen meaning that these are coming in from outside like "New York city?"

Next time I'm looking for the "Best Brunch on Maui" I'm going to check out the competition before dropping my $300 at the Makena Resort. I'm betting that award goes to someone else this year!

Edited: 29 September 2011, 22:46
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Sunday Brunch in Wailea?

That is so dis-heartening to hear. I'm not real picky but still, a buffet that isn't re-stocked is not so good. Thanks for the heads up. I've been to the Makena Beach Resort recently but not on a Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
776 Reviews
Maui, HI