We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui advice - toddler coming along

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maui advice - toddler coming along

My husband, and I are planning a trip to Maui this October and we're bringing our 2 year old daughter with us. We will spend part of the time in Hana at a friends place, but are unsure what is the best plan for our hotel/condo stay. We're considering Wailea and Kaanapali areas, but are open to suggestions, advice, etc.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

If you're staying a week or more, I'd suggest a condo over a hotel. "Home away from home" works well for families. When your DD naps or has early bedtime, you can still feel 'on vacation', relaxing on a lanai with a view.

Either location should be fine. What is your lodging budget?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

I would consider a condo even if you need it for less than a week. Although our condo stays are normally a week or longer, we have stayed for periods as short as 4 days as we prefer a condo vs a hotel for the space, cooking facilities, w/d, and meals on the lanai. Just a note though to be sure it has a/c.

Honua Kai is a popular condo resort for families with young children.

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

We have decided on a condo...but we're uncertain about which location Kaanapali or Wailea.

We know we want to spend time on the beach - are water currents stronger in either? Snorkeling better in one over the other? Other (non-water) activities available in one over the other? Still need help!

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

I second the condo choice over a hotel room. Much easier for naps and keeping milk and snacks readily available. Plus, with a living room you can sit and relax after your daughter goes to bed.

The Honua Kai could be a good choice for you as the children's pool has a walk-in entrance to it where little ones can splash around and play in the shallow water.

Curt

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

The ocean will be starting to turn. It's generally calmer north in summer and south in winter.

Kaanapali is the 'buzzier' part of Maui. It was the first 'tourist destination' development on Maui. More high-rise, high-density. Has a nice boardwalk and there are shuttles to Lahaina's Front Street, which is the island's big nightlife draw. Mid-line chain hotels. Whaler's Village is the shopping mall.

Wailea is a later development. Quieter. Home to the best hotels (Four Seasons, Fairmont) and Grand Wailea and a Marriott. Upscale mall is Shops At Wailea. Nearby Kihei has small restaurants and shops. Best beaches run from the three Kamaoles in South Kihei through Wailea and Makena.

Do you have a lodging budget? We can suggest good condo complexes in both West Maui and South Maui.

I prefer South, and I like this website for good condos: www.mauiownercondos.com

The Honua Kai is a quite new complex in West Maui -- as large as a hotel (over 600 units). Nice pools, but quite a walk to the water's edge -- same as many of the 'best' hotels! lol

Edited: 06 August 2011, 23:31
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,494 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

You will have better, more consistent ocean conditions on the south side beginning in Oct. If you are coming at the end of the month, then more so. You could still have good conditions in the west/north too, just depends on what the weather will bring!! There are lots of places to snorkel no matter which area you choose.

Black Rock has a nasty current if you go too far out. If you stay close to shore, no problem.

There isn't anything you could do in one place that you can't do in the other except for para-sailing!!

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

I was just in a similar situation and weighed the pros and cons of every place over and over. We finally went with a Costco deal at the Westin villas. There is a great toddler pool and the Costco deal has breakfast included everyday which is great for an early rising baby. I also like that that part of the island seems very family friendly and there is a lot to do. We like upscale resorts and the Weston seemed to satisfy our needs. The Costco deal gives you an upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom. Hope that helps.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

You may also check some of the condos on VRBO. Renting directly through an owner you can often get a room with a Pack 'n Play for the little one, at no extra cost which may be convenient.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
298 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

We prefer Kannapali beach because we can walk to many amenities such as shopping and restaurants.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui advice - toddler coming along

I would recommend going through VRBO. I used Craigslist to find ours - there are some that are rented directly from owners and some from agencies. We ended up negotiating $1200 for a 7 days stay in a villa at the Westin Villas North. If we had gone through Westin directly or Costco, it would have cost us upwards of $2K. Just a suggestion. Good luck!