We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

SoCal
Level Contributor
457 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

We'll be staying at the Four Seasons - maybe they have their own concession there but I'm interested in what is considered the best jet-skiing option in the area. We're taking our 24-year-old son and a friend and they have expressed a specific interest in going jet-skiing.

Any other must-do activities for them? They were both college swimmers so they're fit and can handle almost anything.

Oh - and P.S. - these boys can EAT! Any restaurant recommendations? I've made a reservation for the Sunday brunch at Makena based on a recommendation here; they love sushi, so Sansei? Cafe O'Lei? Anyplace else?

Thanks!

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:31
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

Pretty sure the only place to jet-ski is off the south end of Ka'anapali Beach in West Maui. The operation there runs from mid-May to mid-December (closed during the winter to accommodate the whale migration). The watercraft launch from a raft which is located a couple hundred yards offshore and riders must stay within a delineated area. Probably not the kind of free-riding activity your boys have in mind.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:37
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

I don't think they have any jetskis around Wailea. I could be wrong, but I've never seen them. The only place I've ever seen jetskis is within this roped of area pretty far out just below Kaanapali Beach. And I know even that place is closed during whale season.

Dave

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,512 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

Aloha,

VC is correct. Ted King has the lock on commercial jet ski permits here, and operates out of the West side, near Hanakao'o Beach. Also, as VC said- they're limited to a set area, just FYI.............no rockin' and rollin' wherever they want. The skis are $$$ too.

Surf lessons would be way more bang for the buck, and easily done anywhere. Check Maui Waveriders down south, or Maui Waveriders or Goofy Foot if coming to the West side.

Places to eat down south are all over! Coconuts Fish Tacos, Stella Blues, Da' Kitchen, Lulu's are a few that come to mind for pretty big portions and reasonable prices. These aren't sushi (BTW, neither is Cafe O Lei), but they're reliable.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:48
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

They might enjoy Blue Water Rafting -- departs from the Small Boat Launch in South Kihei. Yes to Sansei, and Coconut's -- in Azeka Place mall. They'd probably like Fred's in South Kihei. Mulligan's is fun. (In case of emergency, there's a Denny's.)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,607 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

Jet skiing is frowned upon on many levels and tightly controlled due to noise pollution, air pollution and danger to sea life. It is also tightly controlled.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/bor_pwcs.htm

But there is one licensed operator in Ka'anapali.

If they were college swimmers, be sure and have them there on Sept. 3 so they can compete in the Maui Channel Swim (Lanai to Lahaina) or send them over to Oahu on Labor Day (9/5) for the Waikiki Roughwater Swim.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,580 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

I'll second Blue Water. Stand up paddle boarding will give them a great work-out!

I don't "get" the jet-skiing on Maui...they look kinda silly going around in that little oval. I always think of the kiddy rides at the fair! :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

They may also like a kayaking trip or zip-lining.

SoCal
Level Contributor
457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

Thank you for all this! I don't think they're in shape for the channel swim but I'll let them know:-)

The Four Seasons lists "seasonal" jet-skiing on their activities menu. I'm disappointed to hear that it's up at Ka'anapali. I think the kayaking may be more interesting to them. They won't be into jet-skiing in a little corral.

Thanks for the input!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

Sansei, in Kihei. 50.% off Sun and Mon, one family member gets in line around 4 to 4:10 p.m(line forms real fast, some folks bring their beach chair to sit in)...rest of family walks over to Kalama shop plaza or across the road to the beach park. About 4:40 hostess will take names and number of people in the group. Seating will start at 5pm.All sushi & 99% of the menu is 50% off until 6pm. Also after 10 pm sushi menu is 50% off.

10. Re: Best jet-ski option at Wailea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Wailea
Recent Conversations