We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
111 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Wailea

I am planning a trip in October. Trying to decide on The Grand Wailea in Maui or the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. Does anyone have any thoughts. We are seniors and would like a relaxing beautiful setting. I'd prefer not to rent a car but will if we had to. We love walking the beach and enjoy the pools. I'd appreciate any input

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea

Grand Wailea has awesome pools and walking trails

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,828 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea

Aloha,

If you stay at the Grand Wailea, you really must have a car.

You might want to look at the Hyatt Kaanapali--very nice and right in Kaanapali, plus shuttles to Lahaina town. Wonderful grounds, perfect beach right by it,, and the boardwalk is a lovely walk.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea

If you are okay with primarily staying on property then you can skip the car rental. With both properties you mention I would prefer having a car in order that I could get to other places on the island (s).

The Grand Wailea is a spectacular property on Maui. If you want pools then GW certainly has plenty of pools.

As seniors, you may want to consider the Four Seasons right next to the GW as it is in the same price range and in the same quality cluster for a property but may meet your requirements better.

The Grand Hyatt on Kauai is a spectacular property as well. It has the pool you desire. Again, I would want a car, but other's may not care.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,590 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea

It's possible to stay at the Grand Wailea without a car. If all you are looking for is a resort experience, it would be fine, especially if you don't plan on exploring any other part of the island. You can either walk to or take the Wailea Shuttle to other restaurants and shops in the area. There is a boardwalk that runs along the beach or you could walk on the beach. Did you pick the Grand Wailea just for the pools?

New York
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea

Skip Grand Wailea as this is really more of a family kids type of place due to the pool...but if you are coming to MAUI, then check out the Four Seasons.

If you go to KAUAI, the Hyatt is amazing and awesome!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea

Grand Wailea can get crazy in the summer with lots of kids. But October is a lovely month to stay in Grand Wailea. The kids are in school! And Oct is low season, so not too crowded.

If you like pools, then Grand Wailea is the resort for you. And it is a beautiful resort. It is right next to the Wailea Beach. Four Seasons is next door. You can just walk over at night for their restaurants or bars.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea

The grounds of the Grand Wailea are beautiful, but after staying at the Grand Hyatt I much prefer the Grand Hyatt. They are both sprawling properties but I think that the Grand Hyatt Kauai is more intimate. I also find the scenery of Kauai to be just breathtaking. I like Maui because it is warmer during the winter months. If I had to chose between the two, I would pick the Grand Hyatt as the food and atmosphere are just overall more pleasant to be contained on resort. But, in the end you will probably enjoy either resort.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
111 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea

Thank you all for your suggestions. I dont think I can go wrong with any of these two resorts. I will also check out the Hyatt kaanapali. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
36,963 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Wailea

We had lunch at The Grand Wailea in June. I had always wanted to see this property and when I was actually there, it was absolutely surreal. The grounds are gorgeous, the lobby is massive and elegant. The pools are absolutely beautiful, there is an adult only pool that is very nice and quiet. The beach is also very,very pretty at Grand Wailea with lots of lounge chairs set out for resort guests. Enjoy your time in Maui! :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,809 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Wailea

I'd broaden the search. Is Four Seasons out of the question? It's Maui's best hotel, and wil not nickel and dime you as will happen at Grand Wailea. Maui's second-best hotel is The Ritz at Kapalua -- also lovely and quiet. Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea is beautiful too, with all-suite rooms.

You can see nearly every lodging in Hawaii here: www.wizardpub.com There are aerial views and reviews. Actual pricing is usually less than the rack rates they provide.

We've never visited anywhere in Hawaii without having a rental car. Have you already 'seen the sights' of Maui or Kauai? If you have not, do reserve and car for airport pickup and plan some DIY touring.

Do you have your flights? We go to Maui every year and prefer a non-stop from Chicago to Honolulu, then a hop on Hawaiian Airlines to Maui (or Kauai if you choose that). AA and United both have good, wide-body planes on these routes. We avoid connections on the coast because most airlines use 757 aircraft that are uncomfortable in coach and in first class. I also dislike having to sit in a dirty airport at 1 a.m. on the return redeye flight, waiting for yet another long leg back to ORD.