We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

I've read mixed reviews (and heard from friends mixed reviews) on the restaurants at Grand Wailea, and as we will only be there for 4 nights, we will not have a car. Some reviewers mention walking to the Four Seasons (next door), which they claim has great restaurants. Are any of the 4S restaurants appropriate for an 18 month old (well behaved, but still)? And would you recommend eating at the 4S for breakfast one morning as well, as I just read a bad review re: the GW breakfast. Also, is the breakfast at GW only buffet, and if so, how much does it cost? Are there other restaurants in walking distance that you would recommend? And lastly, since my husband will be attending a work event for dinner one evening, I'm wondering how decent room service is if I eat with my child in the room that night? Thanks!!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

All restaurants are okay for the 3 of you. I like the restaurants at the Four Seasons best in total.

I have had some good dinners at Humuhumu over the years. I like the exotic and romantic feel of the restaurant especially at sunset.

I've never been a huge fan of breakfast at the GW, but it is a killer view (and you pay for it).

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

The GW restaurants are okay. We enjoyed our dinner at Humu's, lovely view. For breakfast, there is a cafe/deli in the resort. I usually go there to grab breakfast for the family. They have cereal, coffee, bagel, donuts, milk etc.

We did not order room service, but we ordered lunch at the pool. They have bergers, sandwiches, salads etc. I assume the room service might be simiiar.

Four season's is next door, they share the same beach with GW. You can definitly walk there.

If you will have a car, you can drive 5 to 10 min north of GW to Kihei, there are lots more cheaper food options there.

There are also shops at Wailea mall, and there are restaurants there as well. People said that you can walk there. We have only driven there.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

Agree with Epicurean's comments. Humuhumu is a worthwhile dining experience, especially for a first-time visit to Grand Wailea; it's where I like to use dining certificates, if provided by front desk based on HHonors rates or amenities.

Four Seasons restaurants are collectively better, but you may feel out-of-place with your little one at Spago and Ferraro's. Breakfast buffet food and service at DUO is really good but I'd only do it maybe once if staying at GW. The setting/view at GW's Grand Dining Room is exceptional.

For a really nice dinner, you may also want to consider strolling along beachfront path over to Nick's Fishmarket at the Fairmont Kea Lani. Terrific food (do save room for their strawberry flambe dessert) with excellent service, probably still tops on Maui. You can stroll back to GW to burn some of those calories off or take their complimentary shuttle to drop you off.

For other dining options within walking distance, there are moderate to expensive spots at the Shops at Wailea: Cheeseburger, Tommy Bahama's Cafe, KAI, Longhi's and Ruth Chris.

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

We had a very nice lunch at Bistro Molikini at The Grand Wailea. The food was above average and the service very attentive. :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

Catch the shuttle up the hill to Capische? In the Hotel Wailea...

Incredible views that put the on-beach joints to shame,

And some of the very best Italian food in the State.

http://www.capische.com/

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

Thanks everyone - this is reassuring!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

GW breakfast is not buffet only. They have a menu. It's not cheap, but we checked out the buffet and decided we definitely couldn't eat enough to justify the price. Maybe spent about $40 for two of us, ordering off the menu.

Depending on how far you consider close enough, we walked from the Makena Beach resort (way past GW) to the entrance to Wailea (probably half a mile from GW, maybe?) and ate at Monkeypod kitchen ... Pita Paradise (or some pita place) is there as well. These are reasonable and good food. GW may have a shuttle that would take you there, too.

As far as room service, I am sure it's fine. However, there is a cafe at the GW where you could walk over and get a pizza. You could also check out Whaler's General Store in the shops next door, as I am pretty sure they have prepared food that you can purchase (i.e., sandwiches, fruit, etc) and it looked pretty fresh.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

The Shops at Wailea which is, I believe, right next door to the Four Seasons has a couple of very affordable restaurants along with the deli at the Whalers General Store. Cheeseburgers, (much better than the one in Lahaina), has good breakfasts and is very family friendly.

9. Re: Grand Wailea restaurants and walking distance restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:19