We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

We are going to Maui for a wedding and some of the guests are staying at the Makena Beach Resort. We are the only ones with a child. Will there be enough to occupy him at the Makena Beachor would we be better off staying at the Grand Wailea or Fairmont?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,512 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

Aloha,

Well.....if I was a kid......I'd want the GW. It is a kid's dream, so if price is okay with you and El Kid has been good this year, go for it!

Edited: 24 November 2011, 02:56
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,177 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

When is the wedding??? The Makena Beach Resort has some great deals on a room up until Dec. 22nd. There are lots of beaches to choose from in South Maui, and your youngster might even meet some other kids there to hang out with... boogie boarding, snorkeling?? or building sand castles. My kids still did that into their early teens. Okay, my kids are unusual, I know..

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

If you stay at the Grand Wailea, your 10 year old will love the pools...and not want to leave the property. Let him discover the ocean and all that Maui has to offer! Just my two cents. He'll meet lots of kids on the beach! And joann...my kids loved playing for hours doing the same things...for HOURS!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

Primo beach, Maluaka, right in front. My kiddos love the beach and at ages 11 and 9, have no knowledge of the GW and the waterpark that it is. My kids will keep building those sand castles until they are old folk. Yeah, there are probably more "activities" at the Wailea resorts but no better ocean than right in front of the Makena Beach Resort.

In all honesty, we stay at condos for the space considerations and the cost.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

Makena Beach Resort is definitly doable for a 10 year old. We have not stayed at this resort, but we take our kids to their beach all the time to play with the sand, and to snorkel.

We have stayed at GW, and YES, your 10 year old will love it there. Kids love GW for their amazing pools, water park.

If you stay at Makena, you will probably find yourself spending more time exploring the rest of Maui. If you stay at GW, you will probably spend most of your time at the resort.

GW is very expensive too.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

To answer your question in one word: NO.

I love the Makena Beach Resort, and I have stayed there more than 10 times in the past 10 years.

However, I think a 10 year-old would he much happier at the Grand Wailea. The pool complex at the GW is like "Disney World for Kids!" It is huge. Did you see the movie "Just Go With It?" It was filmed at the Grand Wailea.

The Makena Beach Resort has a very relaxed vibe to it. And although it is definitely on one of the best and least crowded beaches on Maui, a 10 year-old would be disappointed in the one rather small round pool and the other small kiddie pool.

Most of the guests at the Makena Beach Resort tend to either be Newlyweds or couples without children in their 40s, 50s, and up. It is a very relaxing and quiet resort for adults. But I do not recommend it for children or teenagers.

United States
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

I don't think your kid would be disappointed with what it doesn't know about. If you decide to stay at GW for the last two days of your trip perhaps, it might be a nice surprise.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

I agree with smartlabelprint, consider just a day or two at the Grand Wailea. We do that on Kauai with the Hyatt. Works out great, especially with the pure resort days at the end.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

I completely agree with SC. He will be disappointed with the pool situation. The beach is wonderful, but in my opinion the resort itself will too quiet and boring for him unless he spends all his time at the beach. I would look at the Grand Wailea or Fairmount.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Makena Beach Resort appropriate for a ten year old?

Thank you all for your comments. We are currently in the process of where to stay. Right now we are leaning toward GW especially if we can use some Amex points. We were also thinking about the Marriott but the reviews on Trip advisor have not been favorable.

Get answers to your questions about Wailea
Recent Conversations