We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Launceston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Hi all,

We are planning a September trip to Maui, and are looking to stay for a week in a luxurious resort. There will be 2 adults and 2 pre-teens. The more I research the more confused I become!

We don't want to spend more than $500-$600 a night, and want a close to the beach, resort style experience, preferably with big pools for the kids, and either a suite or room big enough so that we don't drive each other crazy :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Your children would probably like the Grand Wailea. September is a bit of a shoulder season -- better rates -- but be aware that the GW is infamous for 'extra' charges.

I would prefer a condo with some privacy for my DH and me. Having a kitchen does not equate to 'cooking'. I'd visit hotels for their spas, bars, restaurants, etc. All Hawaiian beaches are public.

You'll want to reserve a rental car for airport pickup. Most visitors spend some time touring Maui's sights, go ziplining, take snorkeling excursions. They are not AT a resort 24/7 unless they've 'seen Maui'. Hawaii's unlike some resorts in other countries where you stay in a 'compound'.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Look at Ka'anapali in West Maui as well as Wailea. There are some wonderful condos with the amenities of a resort that might suit you.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Honua Kai condo resort, best of both worlds.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Thanks Teri, it looks great. The only concern is the location - how far is it from shops/restaurants/other resorts? It's hard to tell on the map.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

You posted on the Wailea forum, which is South Maui. Honua Kai is on West of Maui. Rather far from Wailea. Probaby over an hour drive.

Are you looking to stay in Wailea? Wailea is very, very beautiful.

You should definitely look into Grand Wailea. GW is a great resort for familes. We have stayed there 3 times, and one of our stays was in September. September is low season, good rates, not crowded, and not many kids. It was awesome. Grand Wailea is on a great beach, walking distance to The shops at Wailea.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

Thanks HappyTraveler - yes, I think we would prefer Wailea. I'll go check out the GW, it sounds like it ticks a lot of our boxes!! :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

GW resort is gorgeous, and HUGE.

If you decide to stay there, I recommend booking an ocean view room in the lagoon wing. This wing is close to the pool. We stayed in the lagoon wing twice. The ocean view rooms overlook the garden pools and the ocean.

In the evenings, we like go to the adult only pool to relax. The adult pool is heated and open until 10PM. It is very relaxing to swim under the stars (very few people there in the evenings), and they have two jacuzzi by that pool.

And they have this amazing spa onsite. The Spa Grande. You have got to pamper yourself there...

8. Re: 1st Visit to Maui - Advice on Hotel/Condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:30