We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

My husband and I will be in Maui for 4 nights in April. This is our second trip to Maui. For our honeymoon, we stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea. This time, that's not an option as the cheapest room is $1300.

I booked the Marriott Wailea because while we were on our honeymoon we ate dinner at one of the Marriott's restaurants and I remember noticing that it looked like a nice hotel and if we ever came back, it would be a more affordable option. However, I notice that the Marriott got quite a few mediocre reviews. I stumbled across the Makena Beach Resort which got good reviews. Has anyone stayed there? How does it compare to the Marriott Wailea?

We are in our 30s and have no children so we don't need a hotel with kid activities.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

What is in the Marriott reviews that concerns you? I haven't read them lately. They do have a fairly new infinity pool that I've always wanted to check out!!

The Makena Beach and Golf Resort is wonderful, I've stayed there numerous times. Sits above a great beach. Doesn't have much of a pool but that's ok as the beach is the draw. Spacious rooms with views to die for. The service there is impeccable.

Just take the one that fits your needs the most.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

I haven't stayed at the Marriot but did stay at the Makena last august. We loved it. The pool is very simple, but there was never any problem getting lounge chairs. In fact we always had one of the complementary cabanas. They come around with goodies to cool yourself and the pool guys are a hoot. The beach is the best around IMO with great snorkeling. The hotel was very nice. We had a top floor room that was just updated. No complaints. The valet parking is free as is wifi, shuttle to Wailea. No resort fee which is unheard of these days. All the rooms have great ocean views. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast buffet was great also. It's a very low key atmosphere without many kids at all. We normally go to the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island or Sheraton's and Hyatt properties on Maui and Kauai. This is now our new favorite for Maui. Wailea area for half the price... highly recommended.

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

We stated at 4S January 2012 and January 13 for a total of 17 nights. While I love 4S Maui and I am a huge fan, if we are going to return in January 2014, we are seriously considering MBR. I have read all of their reviews and to us it just makes more sense to try it. They have a breakfast package which we like, then you really only need 1 other meal a day, dinner. Also, we are beach people only and would never sit at a pool where there is a beach and it sounds like the pool at MBR is not great, but won't matter to us. 4S beach we found last time to be too crowded and people were not using prime chairs that were left unattended all day. MBR also seems to have better views. We also tossed around the Wailea Marriott, but they don't have a direct beach, with chairs. MBR does and I think that is the deal breaker for us. I won't book until I am firm on a flight (price), but if we go next January I'm almost sure we are going to give MBR a try at about 1/2 the price of 4S (although I know we are not comparing 4S).

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

I haven't stayed at Wailea Marriott, but we really enjoyed MB&GR in January for all of the reasons listed and more. We felt we got a LOT for our money and love the beautiful, quiet Makena area. Maluaka Beach is my favorite! The shuttle into Wailea was very nice for happy hour or dinner. We love the friendly service, and all of the things that are included in the room rate.

There are a couple of things to consider. You will not be in walking distance to other resorts or shops. Maybe that doesn't matter, we were fine with that for a 5 night visit. We split our trip.

The bathrooms really do need new tile. The one thing that I didn't like was the shower. One word, mildew. Just a little, but yuck! I really had to convince myself to overlook that. Also, it is nice that water bottles are given to you every time you turn around. But, I was disappointed that there was no recycling for all of those bottles.

So, 2 issues did bother me a bit, dated bathrooms and a lack of recycling. Overall, though, the great beach, beautiful area, nice rooms with ocean views, the included activities and services with the great staff all add up to a really nice resort - especially for the reasonable price!

Sorry I can't give you any input on the Marriott. It seems like either one could be a good choice and your preferred location, Wailea or Makena, could be your deciding factor. Hope you have a wonderful Maui trip!

Wine Country...
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

I agree that Makena is a great property. You just need to know that you cannot walk to any restaurants or shops outside the hotel. If that is what you're looking for, it's great. Marriott is adjacent to Shops of Wailea and the Wailea Oceanfront Trail gives you access along the waterfront from Keawakapu beach to the Kea Lani and all the hotel restaurants and cocktail lounges and luaus along the way.

Just depends what you're looking for.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

OP came and went last month.

7. Re: Makena Beach Resort vs Wailea Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:18