We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailea or Kaanapali

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wailea or Kaanapali

Going to Maui in May, and have never been. I've narrowed my search down to two places. Wailea and Kaanapali. We are a couple, no kids, in our 30's and don't care much for nightlife (bars/clubs). We are looking for water sports (kayaking, Paddle Board, Snorkeling, and maybe Scuba), along with great sunsets/sunrises...and relaxation. Which place is best? I'm leaning towards Grand Wailea, but am intrigued by Kanaapali Beach Club. Help!

Paddle On! Maui
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Private Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Hawaiian Outrigger Experience
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Clear Kayaks Maui
Kayaking & Canoeing
Maui Undersea Adventures
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Other Outdoor Activities
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,713 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

Aloha,

I think you need to read more about Kaanapali Beach Club. It is a timeshare property, used to be the Embassy Suites. In no way would I put it in the same category as the GW.

To compare more fairly, look at Honua Kai, the Sheraton, and the Hyatt in comparison with the GW.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

The Grand Wailea has a reputation (deserved) for being a kid-magnet resort. I personally prefer Ka'anapali (W Maui) over Wailea (S Maui) - although both fit your criteria.

We really don't know your nightly accomodations budget ... and it would help us a great deal.

If you do want a condo - I would look at the Westin VILLAS (not Resort and Spa) or Honua Kai. My personal favorite (resort) is the Sheraton Maui. I like the Hyatt as well, but it does cater to families and conferences. Not a great beach, either - but a very short walk to a better stretch.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort Area. Honua Kai is just north of the Westin Villas (A).

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

Scroll down and click on the properties that interest you - for an aerial view. I generally disregard the commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

Thank you both, swmarket and BLBL. swmarket: Yes, I am aware that Kaalapali is timeshare property. My family has timeshare with this resort and since I've never been I was looking for advice. It would be helpful if you could say why you wouldn't put it in the same catagory as Grand Wailea. What are the differences? Which do you like best and why?

BLBL: thanks for the link that shows the aerial view. It's great!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,767 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

Of the two, the Grand Wailea wins hands down. The only kids you will find there in May are the littler ones that aren't in school. Wailea will be more laid back and quiet than the main Kaanapali area.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

I respectfully disagree with msfuzz about the kid-factor at the Grand Wailea. It used to be that kids got out of school in mid-June ... but those days are gone. The closer you get to Memorial Day - the more families you will encounter. Many schools do let out in May - and they tend to start in August -- earlier than what used to be the norm.

The Grand Wailea is more "posh" than the Marriott on Ka'anapali. Pull up the websites for both. Both are excellent locations, though.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,767 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

That could be true, BLBL, I just know the further west you go on the mainland the later the schools get out. I wouldn't have any trouble staying at the Grand Wailea up till Memorial Day.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

If it's just the two of you, have you considered the Makena Beach and Golf resort? Or maybe the Fairmont or Four Seasons? What's your budget? I am a South guy I always prefer Wailea over Ka'anapali.

San Jose
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

I highly recommend the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. I stayed there last year and loved it. Just be forewarned that it is the exact opposite of The GW. The GW is "too much" for my tastes. I don't like all the pools and the waterslides (I am a beach person). The Makena's pool is very small and the whole resort is much more "laid back." I also love the Kaanapali area. I like The Kaanapali Alii the best, but The Sheraton is definitely nice. Have fun.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

Big thumbs up for the Makena....

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,118 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wailea or Kaanapali

The Grand Wailea is an over the top 4 star resort that still insists on nickel and diming you. In Wailea I'd choose the Fairmont or Marriott Wailea.

The Grand Wailea is a much nicer place than the Ka’anapali Beach Club, which struggles to be 3 star, but I'd still choose the KBC over the GW every day of the week if those were my only two choices.

See if this site helps.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Get answers to your questions about Wailea