We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping with teenagers

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
shopping with teenagers

We are staying at the Ho'Olei at the Grand Wailea - leaving in two weeks! We have four kids ages 19, 19, 20 & 21. Where is a good place to take them shopping? - somewhere that they can afford. They want to spend some of their Christmas money but I think the Shops at Wailea may be too pricey from what I've heard. Any suggestions? The three girls are also asking about a bikini shop that is supposed to be amazing in Maui - no idea what they are talking about :) so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Edited: 13 December 2013, 20:59
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping with teenagers

Kihei has loads of tourist shops....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,971 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping with teenagers

That bikini shop is most likely the one in Paia. Sports Illustrated fame, but I doubt they would be able to afford it if they can't afford the Shops at Wailea. Just so you know, there is an ABC store, and a Whaler's General Store at those shops, and they should be able to afford that.

Make sure you get them to the swap mart by the college on Saturday morning. It's 50 cents to get in, and bring your own bags. They will find plenty there. But you do want to watch for the "Made in China" stuff is inflated in price.

Not sure of the exchange rate right now, but the taxes are lower on Maui.

Also, a side note completely, three of those four are underage to drink in Hawaii, but they are ALL legal age in Canada. You can buy their liquor for them, the allowed allotment, to bring home to Canada. The liquor prices on Maui are insanely cheap, and when our twins were 19, we took advantage of this "rule".

antioch
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping with teenagers

I've been told the Caddyshackman frequents Pakaloha Bikinis shops for his lady friends, you might want to check them out (Lahaina and I think Paia??)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping with teenagers

Maui Girl is the shop in Paia that has had it's bikini's on the cover of Sports Illustrated. It's on Baldwin Ave.

There are tons of little strip type malls in Kihei where you can shop at fairly normal prices. There is also a mall in Kahului.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping with teenagers

That's great info thanks! Mu daughter just told me that it is Maui Girl her friend told her about, although I didn't realize it was expensive too. I'm not sure how far Paia is but we have a van so we can do as shopping trip, hit Kihei and one afternoon.

Thanks for your suggestion JOan123, To be honest we are actually kind of glad they are underage to drink in the USA because this will save us a TON of money at restaurants LOL - I'm pretty sure they aren't as happy with that though! Funny thing is the one that is 21 barely ever drinks but the other three university students do. That is a good point, we can take advantage of the cheap liquor prices for sure!!

Edited: 13 December 2013, 22:26
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping with teenagers

I'd get up early and drive to Lahaina. Make a day of it. Get a good parking place, have breakfast and enjoy! You can also take excursions from Lahaina ... have dinner ... go to a show.

(Or after Lahaina, head up the road a few miles to Ka'anapali/Whaler's Village ... more shopping and have an early dinner at Hula Grill outdoors.)

Edited: 13 December 2013, 22:34
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping with teenagers

really? okay, I will mention that to my husband, that sounds like a good day trip - and we can check out Lahaina too! Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping with teenagers

You know, the Maui Ocean Center is between Wailea and Lahaina ... if you want to have the morning in Lahaina ... and then visit the Ocean Center in the afternoon.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping with teenagers

another good idea, I will google the Maui Ocean Center and see what it's about and if they are interested, I know my son would be, that might alleviate the pain of shopping for him haha

antioch
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping with teenagers

I think the Maui Girl pricing is in direct inverse of material used, the smaller the bikini the higher the price. but I aint complaining!