We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Hello,

I can't get over the prices in Wailea.

Can you suggest a condo resort that is nice, beach front, for 5 people costing a max of 600$/night. Even that I find is too much but it doesn't seem that there are luxury resorts under that (even the most of the time they are above).

We would prefer Wailea because is seems more laid back and "resort feel".

What important is that the condo is nice, garden or ocean views, beach not too choppy, .

I seemed to have narrowed it down to the Polo Beach Club and Elua (did I exclude one that I shouldn't have),

If I look at Kaanapale, I am looking at the Alii, the Westin Ocean Resort Villas, Honua Kai (but the vegetation seems really mall and not very developped...is this true???), The Whaler and Aston Kaanapali Shore.

Please help me, I have spent so many hours and can't conclude?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

My wife and I have stayed at Polo with our family and Elua as we'll. be at Polo twice this year be happy to answer any questions on each

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Wailea is the most expensive place to stay on Maui, thus you will pay the highest prices. Elua and Ekahi are good choices. Have you look in Kihei. Not anywhere as luxurious but much more affordable. You can get a place there and it's only a 5 minute drive into Wailea.

The ocean conditions will depend on which season you will be on Maui.

The Honua Kai is north of Kaanapali and a great area also. If you are coming in the summer I also suggest looking at places in Kapalua.

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
3 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Will be staying at Polo with my family (first time for us) in March, but with taxes we are over your $600 night limit. We found it hard to find something on the beach with 2 bedrooms and bathrooms below $600 during March given it is Spring Break. Saw some cheaper options in Makena, but not that much cheaper really at the end of the day, especially with the tax and resort fees. Good luck.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

No question Polo is getting up there more and more. But it has become our favorite and in the off season you can get in for about $400. It is just so peaceful. It is at the end if the line so you have almost a private beach and the Kea Lani is just a short walk. Hope you enjoy your stay

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Check out The Whaler or Kaanapali Alii. Both are beachfront and near several good restaurants and bars as well as shopping at Whaler's village. Max size at the whaler is 2 bedrooms, so someone will be on a sofa sleeper. Kaanapali Alii units are two bedroom as well, but many have turned the bonus room into a 3rd bedroom.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

I will be in Oahu from July 5 to 10th and then in Maui from July 10th to 17th.

I looked in Kehei but I didn't find anything that was a "wow"!

Should I look more in Kaanapali then?

How is the Honua Kai? What is the vegetation like?

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
3 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

I was surprised to see the at the Polo is almost surrounded by the Kea Lanai. Our last Hawaii trip as the Big Island and we stayed at the Fairmont Orchid so I'm just trying to keep it in the family! I've heard the Kea Lani is a good option for board rentals etc. We'll be bringing our own snorkeling gear, but my kids love the SUBs etc so figure we'll be over that way from time to time. Looking forward to it!

Edited: 17 January 2014, 22:46
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

Kea Lani is right there, but it sits back quite aways from the beach and the Polo building is more to the front and there is a huge hedge and beach parking lot in between. So you don't feel crowded by it very much. But it is a nice place to walk over either on the beach or through the beach parking lot out front. Nice lobby to hang out in, nice lobby bar and there is a deli called Café Chao. also can rent some water gear there. They have an intro scuba class as well. You can get a good look at Google Maps

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

As Ms. Fuzz said...if you are coming in summer check out Kapalua. There is no place nicer in summer. We stayed at the Kea Lani for two summers and although we liked it we kept driving up to Kapalua during the day. Now we stay there no matter what time of the year, but summer is fabulous. The Villas have 3 options. Bay are at the ocean, Ridge give you great panoramic vies and golf have golf and/or ocean views. I love the bay villas the most although I like the Ridge as well. They are town home style and spread out with a lot of green space all around. 3 beaches on property as well as restaurants and the Ritz. There is a complementary shuttle that will take you around the property if you don't want to walk or drive. Quick 10-15 minute drive south brings you to Kaanapali. The 2 bedroom villas all have 3 baths which is great as well. There are several companies that rent the villas..Quam property being one ...outside of renting through Outrigger. The only advantage to Outrigger really is daily cleaning. I will be there this July myself!

Edited: 17 January 2014, 23:26
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo for 5 in Wailea (preferably) or Kaanapali

When you said "...Honua Kai (but the vegetation seems really mall and not very developped..." Did you mean small rather than mall? If so, I am surprised. I look back at our pictures from our stay 2 years ago, and the plantings look lush and full. What pictures are you looking at?

Edited: 17 January 2014, 23:38