We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any on street parking near grand wailea?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
any on street parking near grand wailea?

hi there,

it is clear from previous posts that there is no avoiding the valet parking at the GW.

as Australians we find the valet parking thing very strange. as well as tipping of course. you have to grow up with these things I think.

anyway, is there anywhere reasonably nearby where we can just park the rental car and walk to and from the hotel? is it safe to leave the car around (no point escaping valet parking if car is damaged by someone else!)

thanks,

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,845 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

There is no where else to park. You are stuck with the valet parking unfortunately, and yes, it is $30.00 a day, and you will pay taxes on top of that. And that does NOT include the tip when the car is brought to you.

Unlike in your own country, the taxes are not included in the price, anywhere. So the price you see, is not the price you pay at the cashier.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

If you are booking a high-end resort, like the GW, in Hawaii just plan on adding the taxes 13% per day, resort fees and parking fees in your budget. Also plan to give the valet $3-$5 each time you take your car out.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

Wow, generous. Tip $2/max.

You can park at shops of Wailea and walk over if you are discreet. Don't park your car there overnight though.

Maybe consider not staying at the Grand. Its a rip off - they nickel and dime you for everything. Stay at a condo in Kihei or Wailea.

US
Level Contributor
140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

If you find valet parking and tipping very strange... your visit to GW will be a eye opening experience. But at least you won't be getting what the 4S presented us last week. At every restaurant there we received a check with pre-calculated tip recommendations for 18,20,and 22%!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

That is pretty common now too mdabul... even at the hair salon here at home, lol. It keeps the math simple and reminds you to tip all at the same time, cleverly helpful.

The closest free parking as noted is at The Shops at Wailea, about a ten minute walk... if you take the stairs up past the parking garage out front of the GW to the street. You cannot park there officially without being a customer or would I recommend staying overnight. Note the GW valet charges are applied at midnight so is only applicable for overnight guests. Anyone else can valet during the day for free... plus tip.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 17:36
Oroville, California
Level Contributor
339 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

I'm a GW regular, we'll be back again this October, before booking a trip I always take into consideration their $30.00 Valet and $25.00 resort fees. As stated there really isn't a good off property parking solution. As for tipping if your going to be in & out of the facility often than a $2.00 tip is fine. Don't sweat the small details you and your children will have great time at GW. The pools are awesome and the beach is beautiful.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 18:56
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

Yes, when you book a stay at the GW, you have to figure the daily $30 valet and $25 resort fees into your total cost at the resort.

I don't think it is fair to call it a rip off or that they nickle and dime you. When a vacationer decides to stay at an expensive resort, everything is more expensive. Of course, it is cheaper to stay at a condo elsewhere.

When you book this resort, they let you know up front that there is a daily parking fee, and a daily resort fee. It is not a hidden cost.

When you pick up your car, a $2 tip is fine. I always call ahead before heading down. When we arrive, our car would already be in front of the lobby, with AC in full force, and they always left us two bottle of cold water, it is not bad for a $2 tip.

Agree with Fireball, if you will be staying there, don't sweat the small stuff. It is a beautiful resort, on a great beach, and amazing pools. Enjoy!

There is no safe street overnight parking near the GW.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

thank you all very much. GW would probably not be my first choice but the kids are mad to try it and if they are happy we are happy. I agree with the comments about not to sweat small and it is to be expected at a resort of this type. although we feel very uncomfortable with tipping I understand it is the way some occupations make their livelihood. "when in Rome" etc. it is just that the cost of the parking will be more than the daily cost of the rental car itself!! But this is the first holiday without my oldest child with us as she is away at University now ...I reckon we are going to be justifying spending the money saved by not taking her 10 times over! also got a really good deal on the rooms - $3000 cheaper than the next quote! so will be ahead I am sure.

Interestlngly (I think), I emailed my booking confirmation to GW asking what further fees and charges would be payable. the response was 'none'. I can only assume this is because I booked from an Australian website (Zuji) and taxes are not charged to overseas visitors(??). I will be taking a copy of that email along with me though in case there is any question!

thanks again and happy travelling, k

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

As for the "nickel and dime" tag the GW gets, the $25 resort fee includes guest internet access; beach umbrellas for use on Wailea Beach; admission to twice daily SCUBA clinics; free bike rental; local, toll-free, domestic and credit card calls (no access fee). So they don't "nickel and dime" for everything, the Sheraton Maui for example will charge you for beach umbrellas etc. on top of their $30 resort fee.

To the OP - if you have any questions about taxes you should ask the third-party website or read the T & C of your rate. If you are paying Zuji directly you are essentially their customer not Grand Wailea's. There is no tax exemption on hotel rooms for overseas visitors.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

How bout a bagel in the land of no nickel and diming? How much does that cost?

Get answers to your questions about Wailea