We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shelling beach?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best shelling beach?

Hello,

We'll be staying in the southern end of Maui in November. My wife loves hunting for seashells. Is there a beach that you'd recommend that is particularly good for shelling?

Thanks.

T

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best shelling beach?

Sorry...very few, if any, shells on Maui beaches. They get churned into sand.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,934 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best shelling beach?

Shelling in Hawaii is quite different from other places. The remoteness of the islands and the slopes of the beaches are the biggest reasons. You will find bits and pieces. Divers and snorkelers will see shells but those in the ocean are homes for the critters!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best shelling beach?

No shells to speak of in Hawaii, sorry....

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best shelling beach?

I wondered about the lack of shells....seriously, none...on the beaches on Maui. I suppose the current and those waves are so strong that a shell would never make it whole or even partial up on the beach due to the strong waves. Thanks for the info Ms. Fuzz, it is fun to follow you!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best shelling beach?

Chris...there is a reason that Niihau shell necklaces are so very prized!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best shelling beach?

in many areas near where I live, taking shells from a beach is illegal for a reason. leaving the shells on the beach, where they break down into the ecosystem is optimal. I've taken shells off Puget Sound beaches. I've even once used harvested oyster shells for out door ash trays (quit long ago) - but I don't anymore.

tourists should think twice about their need to TAKE things that belong where they are.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best shelling beach?

I beg to differ on the no shells in Hawaii to speak of. It's not on Maui but Papohaku beach on Molokai is an amazing shelling beach. Most are very small similar to Niihau shells and in very good condition not broken. The other cool thing was it was over 3 miles long I think and we were there with another couple and there was two other people on the whole beach. The last pics in this set are from that beach.

https:/…Molokai2010

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best shelling beach?

When we search for sea glass we do find some shells in the rubble.

If the shells are heavy I figure it still may be live and throw it back in

the ocean. The pretty ones to me are the cowry and the puka (cone shell tops) are great for jewelry.

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best shelling beach?

I have 3 words for shelling: Sanibel Island Florida

10. Re: Best shelling beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:16