We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

I am looking for some tips on what I should do in Maui when I arrive next month on November 6- November 12th, 2013.

So my husband thinks we're flying west to go to LA for a vacation, NOT. :-). It's a surprise, we'll be going to Maui and he'll find out at the airport.

We'll be staying at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort for 5 days.

We're arriving at night, I am thinking it's best to stay at the resort; eat and get some sleep. Thoughts anyone?

Day 1: I wanted to do something scenic like going to a beautiful beach or visiting waterfalls or mountains

Have anyone visited volcanic sites before?

What's a good place to have casual dinners near Makena?

10 replies to this topic
boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

You are lucky since you will be on a very nice beach called Maluaka Beach. There are also many other beaches to visit within a few minutes drive of your resort in Wailea and Makena. If you do the Road to Hana you are sure to see a few waterfalls along the way. You can take a ride up to the volcano Haleakala and get some breathtaking views of the island on your way . You can also drive to the west side of Maui in about 45 minutes and visit the old whaling town of Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach which is a few miles beyond Lahaina. We arrived at night also and awoke at 4 a.m. the next morning since we felt like we were still on east coast time. We just relaxed at the beach the first day.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 18:14
Spokane WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

I haven't gone yet but my best advice is to do a lot of research before you go. I've been researching activities in my downtime. Our plans include a Molokini/Turtle Arches snorkel cruise, luau at the Old Lahaina Luau, visiting the Dole Plantation (for Dole Whip), the Maui Ocean Center, and of course going to various beaches. Hopefully Haleakala will be open by the time you go. It's closed as part of the gov't shutdown so I don't think we'll get to see the sunrise there, but it's supposed to be astounding.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

To see waterfalls you will need at least a day trip to the Hana region. Famous Hana Hwy. over 600 curves and 50 some odd one-way bridges. You will be staying at the bottom of Haleakala, a volcano that is over 10,000. If you go, dress very warmly.

If you drive south of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort you will run into the last lava flow on Maui at LaPerouse Bay.

Take a look around this web-site. The menu at the top of the page and the Top Questions to your right. These are full of great info that is at your fingertips!!

Janessa, the Dole Plantation is on the island of Oahu!

Edited: 01 October 2013, 19:10
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

For casual dinners, try Monkeypod, Mulligan's on the Blue, Sarento's on the Beach, 5 Palms, and lots more in Kihei, just up the road from you. Lots of Happy Hours to take advantage of.

Have you booked a rental car?

A couple of those links on the right hand side are all about eating while on Maui!

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

We stayed at the Makena Beach Resort for one night this past june we enjoyed our stay there and liked that it is a resort but they don't nickel and dime you to death withe fees.

Some people complain about the pool being small but we liked the pool area and you use the pool cabanas for free.

The beach there is wonderful you won't have to go far.

We took the resort shuttle to and from MonkeyPod Kitchen and really enjoyed our meal there.

Did you rent a car?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

Why are you making this trip a surprise? He will miss all the fun of anticipation and planning. (Or perhaps he isn't the type to consider it "fun"? )

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

I made it a surprise for his birthday. Besides, I normally do all the planning for our trip. He doesn't mind. It's on his bucket list; so his getting done with a twist! I'm not planning the entire activities out. I've scheduled one activity and the rest we'll freestyle when we arrive and he'll have a chance to do something he really wants. So far, I've compiled a list of things to do.... wish me luck :-)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

Wow....you have very good taste in birthday presents! You are staying on a gorgeous beach and have a wonderful game plan! I would suggest Makena Beach for a sunset, as it is a beautiful huge beach and the sunset is spectacular there! We will be there on the 9th and beginning to feel like it is real! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Love the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Make sure you do some snorkeling!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband

Now that is a surprise I would love! I would stay at the resort the first day, relax and settle in. Then when rested explore. Look at the top questions on the top right of this page for ideas (must be on computer- not mobile app).

Reply to: Surprise trip to Maui for my Husband
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted