We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bedford 1st weedend in October

cleveland
Level Contributor
35 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
New Bedford 1st weedend in October

We will be in New Bedford for the 1 st weekend in October. Is there more to do than museums?

28 replies to this topic
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

What are your interests and are you staying downtown? Will you have a car? There is the Whaling Museum and several art museums located downtown as well as shops and restaurants. There are a couple of big antique warehouses if you like antiques but not located directly downtown. There is a nice zoo at Buttonwood Park. There is Fort Taber on the water that has stunning and beautiful ocean views and is a nice place to visit for a couple of hours. There is a free and very nice military museum there. If you have a car, drive over the Fairhaven Bridge and visit Fort Phoenix and walk on top the hurricane barrier for gorgeous views of New Bedford Harbor. That is a great place to relax and watch all kinds of boats coming into the Harbor. Have an excellent lunch at Margaret's Restaurant before you get there. Walk around Fairhaven's center and see some spectacular architecture. You can take a quick ferry to Martha's Vineyard and spend the day. You're close enough to Newport for a day trip. If you let me know what you're interested in, I can help you more.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

Battleship Cove is in nearby Fall River, if a visit there would interest you: http://www.battleshipcove.com/

There is a coastal wine trail that takes you to local wineries and through some pretty countryside: http://www.coastalwinetrail.com/Home.htm

cleveland
Level Contributor
35 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

I will have a car. Thank you for the Fairhaven bridge idea.

Hope the weather cooperates.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

I hope it is nice for you, too. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

Try out some Portuguese cuisine in many of the local, small, independently owned Portuguese restaurants - there are several great ones in the area. If you do go, try Chourico a Bombeiro (it's a Portuguese sausage served over a flaming bit of alcohol).

cleveland
Level Contributor
35 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

What restaurant(s) do you suggest?

Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

I know some of the owners personally, so I hesitate to suggest out on a public forum. But, check out the reviews for Cotali Mar (which has a wonderful outdoor patio in the back), Antonio's Restaurant (with a VERY loyal following), and the Cafe Mimo (which my father loves). All three of these are located in the "North End" of New Bedford (the last two on Acushnet Avenue and the first right off of it on Coggeshall Street (I think). Fall River also has some great Portuguese restaurants and I'm sure that there are many out there who have their own opinions about great Portuguese cuisine in the area who may disagree with my comments. Good luck and have a great visit!

cleveland
Level Contributor
35 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

Much thanks. So much good food, so little time.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

You're recommendations for restaurants are right on. Antonio's is quite popular. Just be aware that there is construction that will make it a bit difficult to get to Cotali Mar but the restaurant is beautiful and worth the detours. Antonio's is easily accessible on Coggeshall Street.

Where are you staying?

cleveland
Level Contributor
35 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Bedford 1st weedend in October

Fairfield Inn

I have a car and GPS and no shiness.

Reply to: New Bedford 1st weedend in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Bedford