We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

Miami
Level Contributor
109 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

Hi,

We are planning a visit to Ecuador next September and have been contacting tour companies to quote us on a package that includes some days in the Amazon.

What place do you recommend to stay at between La Selva Amazon Lodge and Napo Wildlife Center?

I've seen this question posed before in TA before but not recently so I wanted to get recent feedback.

Thank you

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

There are recent reviews in the lodging section.

Miami
Level Contributor
109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

I have been reading the reviews and people seem to like them both, except that they mentioned that La Selva has problems keeping critters out of the rooms at night (roaches scare the hell out of me)... They also said it was being renovated, so I wonder if they are done with the renovation and that is no longer a big problem. As for their programs they both seem fantastic.

I was looking for the point of view of someone who may have been to both places and can compare them.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

That doesn't happen much (people visiting both). I stayed at La Selva a dozen years ago and it was indeed fantastic. I don't remember roaches--I think some people call any bug a roach--but there are mosquito nets and I advise using them. I don't think you could go wrong with either place.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

I can't make a comparison because I haven't been to both. We were at Napo Wildlife Center in May, and would highly recommend it. We did our research ahead of time & were still pleasantly surprised with NWC. We were impressed with how clean, and well run this place is.

I'm not a mosquito fan, so it was a welcome relief that there were so few, if any (didn't see any - still bring protection in case this was an anomally). The staff & guides were great. We saw plenty of wildlife, which although not a guarantee, is likely aided by the fact that the Anangu people chose to stop hunting in this area about 15 years ago.

This was a great experience for us. It was especially rewarding to support the Anangu community in this successful ecotourism project.

Miami
Level Contributor
109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

Hmm, it seems to be a tough choice because both seem very good. Thanks a lot for your responses.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

While I haven't been to La Selva, I can say that I was quite impressed with Napo. La Selva was bought last November by the Columbus Group, owned by a Norwegian gentleman and his wife, and they do have a good reputation for environmental stewardship.

We chose Napo because it is 100% owned by the local community, with profits going back to the community. After years of working for outsiders at other lodges and watching profits leave the region, the Anangu built their own lodge and have done quite well with it. They of course have done some outside hiring, but I liked the fact that the entire community had come together in this eco-based business venture.

Chatsworth...
Level Contributor
22 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

We have just returned from vacation in Ecuador & I can't say enough wonderful things about Napo Wildlife Center!!! The staff was wonderful, the guides fantastic, the food great & the sights unbelievable!!! Plus, it is owned & operated by the local community, not some foreign corporation. I honestly dont know anything about LaSelva, but I think that it would be impossible to beat Napo Wildlife Center. Bring lots of Deet, maybe some DVD's & a player or a good book & your camera :-). PS: The internet connection is kinda iffy & I had a "Claro" sim card but no phone service while there.

8. Re: La Selva Amazon Lodge or Napo Wildlife Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2016, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Yasuni National Park