We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Hello forum,

I am having second thoughts about my plans to visit Napo Wildlife Center next month.

Can anyone provide some information on this oil spill (date June 8 2014) and how it is affecting local residents and wildlife?

amazonwatch.org/news/2013/0608-ecuador-oil-s…

7 replies to this topic
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Quite sad and extremely upsetting. Here is a link that works... http://tinyurl.com/YasuniGreed

Gainesville, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Dear Crazy4Nature,

The date on that website is June 2013. If that is the spill that you are talking about then yes, I visited Napo Wildlife Center since then in Dec. 2013. I happened to come across info about that spill three or four months before our trip and panicked but by the time we got there in Dec there was no obvious indication that there had been a spill. I do not know how close the spill got to the lodge; everything looked pristine.

Our trip was absolutely amazing and I have a review in TA. We saw tons of wildlife (stayed 7 nights). Absolutely beautiful area.

The recent articles I have read indicate that drilling in the new part of the park will begin in 2016. Very sad. A good reason to go now, in my opinion.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Dear reptileenthusiast,

You are correct, my post here is related to the oil spill in 2013. I posted while I was trying to make a decision as to whether or not I would go to Yasuni.

Several months ago you shared a very detailed description of your trip which I loved, and I was really looking forward to my trip. I wanted to experience the wonders you had experienced but I'm afraid it may too late.

Once I found out that the government approved drilling in the protected areas, and the work had already started, I had a change of heart and decided not to go.

Before making my decision I got in touch with the lodges and with several recent visitors and gathered a lot of information on the current state of affairs on the Napo. The NWC and La Selva both sent me maps detailing the oil installations as well as the planned area where the roads will be constructed This road is one of the most controversial topics as Petro Amazonas will be using explosives to clear the forest.

I agree with you that this would be the time to go, before the inevitable accident renders the park a dead zone. But to me, it would not be a good trip...instead I would be reminded of the inescapable reality that Yasuni has no future, and I find that tragic and a great loss for humanity.

Instead, I'm choosing the Galapagos and planning to go in November (luckily, they haven't found oil there).

Edited: 12 July 2014, 04:26
Gainesville, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

Sorry to hear you won't be going (although I understand your reasoning) - it was the best nature-oriented trip we've taken (making the thought of drilling that much more unbelievable - what are they thinking?)

Would you be willing to share the maps?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

reptileenthusiast thank you for providing your wonderful review! It was one that pushed us toward Napo for our upcoming October trip! I am booked for 6 days at Napo, and I too hired a private guide to maximize our experience. We are very excited to see a part of Yasuni, good and bad.

Crazy4nature have fun in the Galapagos! Let 's hope the Ecuadorian government comes to its senses and ultimately Yasuni does have a future.

Gainesville, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

1FoutFun you'll have a wonderful time. If you see Freddy or Guido please tell them "hello" for us! So happy the review was helpful. I learned so much through the TA reviews of others, especially the ones with a lot of detail - really facilitates making informed choices. Trying to pay it forward! Interested in hearing about your trip when you get back.

Crazy4nature - do have a great time in the Galapagos! My husband and I went in 2007 and that trip was so amazing it is what spurred us to finally start all of our nature travels (you would think two biologists would have done so sooner, but it took the Galapagos to get us off our rears).

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?

I will! Thxs

Reply to: Has anyone been to Yasuni after oil spill?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yasuni National Park