We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

Which Hahei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

Hi, we will only be in the area for one day, arriving @ noon. I am torn between kayak tour (at 1:30) or hiking to the beach. The following day we only have about 3 hours, so I was thinking of doing a shorter hike near Tairua, where we are spending the night. Any ideas or suggestions? We love to hike and kayak both.

6 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

Looking at your other post, you are traveling in February.

Cathedral Cove is very popular. It might be crowded in the afternoon. If you aren't going anywhere else where kayaking is a desirable option, I'd do the kayaking trip. Check out the sunrise the next morning from the beach - they'll be fewer crowds then.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

Yes, we will be there in February; so do you mean kayak to Cathedral cove in the afternoon and the following day, hike to it at sunrise? If the walk is pretty, we could certainly do that. Or would it be better to do a different walk? Thanks'

California
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

To be honest, I've never been. But I have heard and read that it gets packed on summer afternoons. From a kayak, you get a completely different perspective of that portion of the coastline. So I think a walk there in the morning would be stunning, as you'd have it more to yourself and it faces east.

There are many, many, many walks in New Zealand. But how many options in your itinerary are you going to have to kayak?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

It's not a particularly interesting hike to the caves, kayaking would be my choice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

Thanks; I'll definitely kayak. I'm still looking for suggestions of shorter hikes (1 to 2 hours) in the area.

California
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?

I've done some hikes that are in the "greater" area and you might want to tackle either coming or going. Karangahake Gorge (Windows Walk) is a beautiful area and is full of gold mining tunnels and history. Or on the very north end of Waihi Beach, at low-ish tide, you can do the coastal walk to Orakawa Beach. When we did it, there was a spur track to William Wright Falls. Last I looked online, there had been a slip and the track to the falls was closed.

Outside of Whitianga are some walks to beaches mentioned here: motorcamps.com/content/whitianga-shakespeare… with pictures found here: http://nzfrenzynorth.wordpress.com/e9/ --I've not done these walks.

I'm presuming you already are planning on visiting Hot Water Beach.

Reply to: Hike or kayak to Cathedral cove?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hahei
Recent Conversations