We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from QT to franz josef and vice versa enquiry

1 post
Save Topic
Transport from QT to franz josef and vice versa enquiry

My sister and I are planning to do franz josef glacier helihike on nov21. Our problem is how to get to Franz josef from Queenstown and be back on the same day, as we really want to save time. Is there a shuttle or uber? I already checked intercity and it says bus is impossible. We dont want to take the risk to rent a car and drive as we are not familiar with the road.

Itinerary in South Island:

*QT accomodation was already booked from nov 20-25

Nov 20 - flight to QT from Auckland (booked already)

Nov 21 - possible franz josef glacier helihike

Nov 22 - milford sound (booked, pick up in QT)

Nov 23 - possible bungy jump in QT

Nov 24 - no plan yet (pls suggest any interesting activity)

Nov 25 - flight to wellington fr QT (booked)

Please advice us. We can still modify the plan since only milford sound was booked. Thank you.

1 reply
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,359 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from QT to franz josef and vice versa enquiry

<<be back on the same day,>> LOL You would need to charter a helicopter or bring your own time machine!!

You are looking at 700 Km round trip - and most DE's would consider 350 Km one way to be too far to self-drive in a day. The Intercity bus takes 8 hours EACH WAY. Add in the hell-hike at a minimum of 4 hr, not counting check-in time & changing clothes or lunch and you'd have a full 20 hour day!!

My best suggestion would be to swap the activities planned for Nov 23rd (Bungy Jump) to the 21st and on the 23rd take the Great Sights /Intercity coach to Mt Cook & do the hell-hike there; stay one night and return to QTN in the afternoon on the 24th.

Reply to: Transport from QT to franz josef and vice versa enquiry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted