We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still sorting my trip to South Island

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
2 posts
Save Topic
Still sorting my trip to South Island

To all you experienced travellors how do you think this would this work? I have ten nights.

Picton - Nelson 1 night

Nelson - Punakaiki 1 night

Punakaiki - FG 1 night

FG - Queenstown 3 nights

Queenstown - Timaru 1 night

Timaru - Christchurch 3 nights

Any comments or alternative suggestions?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still sorting my trip to South Island

I would drop at least one night in Christchurch and add that into the Nelson stay as there is loads of things to do up there. You might want to also consider switching Timaru with Dunedin, Dunedin offers a lot more in the way of attractions for the visitor and it is still an easy enough drive from Dunedin to Christchurch.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still sorting my trip to South Island

Hi SJ

I suggest you skip the East Coast, and instead travel up the middle of the country, past our highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook. I've also added another night to Franz in order for you to explore the glaciers. If this doesn't appeal, then I would suggest you plan another night in Queenstown. I'm presuming you plan to visit Milford Sound from Queenstown?

Nelson 2 nights

Punakaiki 1 night

Franz 2 nights

Queenstown 3 nights

Mt Cook or Tekapo 1 night

Christchurch 1 night

btw, what dates are you planning to travel?, as that can affect drive times.

Perth
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still sorting my trip to South Island

If you're breaking the journey from Queenstown to Christchurch, I'd stop in Tekapo. There's a great Winter Park - outdoor ice skating and hot pools overlooking the lake and mountains. We went in the evening and it was a unique and fantastic experience.

4. Re: Still sorting my trip to South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 09:25