We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

We will be on the South Island for 3 weeks in February/March. We leave Wanaka (after 2 nights) on Feb 25 and must get to Abel Tasman late on March 1st.

Question: Fox or Franz Joseph? We would like to to see the glaciers; spouse will helihike, I may or may not. Thing is, it's sort of my birthday (leap year, so no official day next year) and I'd like it to be a bit special, but I've gotten the impression that either of these towns are really just stopovers for the glaciers.

We're just unsure how to manage this portion of the trip, where to stop for the three nights we've allotted for the transit, etc.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

Hi Sioux :)

- drive to Fox

- explore glaciers, heli-hike, stay Fox

- drive to Punakaiki

- drive to Abel Tasman

hope this helps :)

ps, happy birthday :) :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,070 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

I'm puzzled! I make it 4 nights and 5 days!! Where in Abel Tasman do you have to end up - inside the NP or a town outside?

I'd go with WL's suggestion and stay 25th & 26th at Fox (do a search for B&Bs or lodges - I think coaster has reviewed a new one that might be worth a special occasion); 27th Punakaiki & 28th Nelson, giving you plenty of time to get to Abel Tasman on the 1st.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

Sorry, edit button please! We are leaving Wanaka on the 26th not the 25th. Our original plan was to stay in Fox for 2 nights (to give us a better chance of doing the helihike, weatherwise) and one night in Punakaiki, but spouse began to wonder if that was too much time.

I guess it's not. Thanks.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

I would do Punakaiki on the way up so 2 days is ample at the glaciers. Me i go to fox because a must do is once around lake Mathieson first up in the morn.

make sure you have the tides right for the 'pancake rocks'as it is a far greater experience. look on this link for tide times.

ofu.co.nz/graph/tides.php…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

Oh thank you for that tip about the tides, Mausgrass, I probably wouldn't have thought of that (tho my ex-submariner husband might have).

Now trying to narrow down where to stay in Fox.

6. Re: Going from Wanaka to Abel Tasman with 3 nights to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 07:18