We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glaciers

Urunga, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Glaciers

We are booked to stay for 2 days in Franz Josef and were wondering what the best glacier experience would be. We are both in our 60s and have reasonable fitness, so we thought 1/2 day tour would be suitable. We are not interested in flying.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glaciers

No Heli-hike? But that's my preferred hike ;)

because

a) I love helicopters

b) the helicopter takes you up, you walk down

If not heli-hiking, I would do the Fox glacier half day. But no matter which you choose, you won't be disappointed. Book your hike for the first opportunity in the day. That way if you have a weather cancellation you potentially still have time for the weather to clear.

enjoy :)

Urunga, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glaciers

thanks for your reply. Any thoughts on a Lake Mathieson experience while at the glaciers?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glaciers

WA has it slightly wrong, The helecoptor takes you, you do a short walk, though tunnels and crevacises, then the helicoptors come all the way back and takes you down. now if in your 60's, what could be better.

check some videos I have loaded on Flickr

one video is of the half day guided walk at Fox

the others are half day helihike, plus some awesome photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157621014871180/

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glaciers

Get there early as the lake is often the most calm first thing. When the weather co-operates it is simply stunning.

another alternative is to sleep in... and buy the postcard instead :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glaciers

yep, I didn't mean you walk all the way back (sorry for my poor description!). I just meant you don't have to climb up onto the glacier. The heli does the hard work... you then have a gravity assisted walk :)

6. Re: Glaciers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 05:18