We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

We're spending 2 nights in Fox Glacier, but as I can't walk very well, what can we do there?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

- Heli Hiking

- heli Sights

- dining

- visit lake Matheson craft shop and restaurant.

- If you have access to a wheel chair, do the lake matheson wheel chair walk

- visit Doc Office

- Pub

- Photography

- In franz Joseph, check out the hot pools

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,160 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

I suspect Coaster means Heli-flightseeing rather than hiking ;-). I sent an 88 year old man with bad gout up in the chopper and he loved it.

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

My Oh went on a helicopter flight which landed on the glacier. Once up there you can just enjoy the spectacular views and, with luck, the experience of standing on snow/ice in warm sunshine. No need for long walks. I was too much of a coward to join him but enjoyed looking at the photos he brought back!

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

It's also an easy stroll through the glow worm forest in town. Just ask the locals and they will point you to where it is....we went just on dusk and loved spotting all the glow worms as they came out.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

Thanks Everyone

I think the helicopter flight is about all I can do there. We were there 7 years ago and did the gloworm walk, the walk to near the Glacier face, and I think around Lake Matheson. My knee was fine then.

I wanted to do a helicopter flight that time but the weather was too bad and we ended up doing a helicopter flight from Twizel later in the trip when the weather was perfect - I think we went up near Mt Cook from Twizel.

I'm wondering if I should change the 2 nights at Fox to just one night - if the weather's bad it will be a very dull day and I don't know how we'll fill it in.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

if only choppering it is a one day wonder. Better glacial action in the tasman glacier area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

I have now changed our itinerary to only one night at Fox. So if it's pouring with rain we'll be off the next morning, and if it's sunny we can always do a 20 minute helicopter flight to the Glacier before we leave.

But as they're expensive and we have already done one from Twizel last time, maybe we won't bother anyway.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

I would encourage you to do the heli flight with snow landing. That was awesome.

You would likely be OK on the tour with Okarito Kiwi Tours. We did that with my elderly mother and Ian tailored the tour to account for her mobility impairment. Certainly a highlight of our time on the west coast.

Another option could be an Okarito Boat Tour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

Thanks Snodge, but I'm not into bird-watching, so I think the Okarito Kiwi Tour would be wasted on me.

I'm wodering how different a helicopter ride and snow-landing in Fox would be from the one we did from Twizel. I guess the landscape below would be different, but maybe not worth the $200 or so per person?

10. Re: what to do in Fox Glacier if you can't walk well?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 05:17