We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unguided walk through glaciers

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Unguided walk through glaciers

I was curious if there were any places that I could go and walk through the glaciers without a guide. I am very experienced on ice and with ice climbing (I am not trying to climb though) and I was trying not to have to fork up the money for a guide through the glaciers. If not what are other options that would not cost too much.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,346 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unguided walk through glaciers

They cannot stop people going onto the glaciers. Provided you bring (or hire) crampons & ice axe then you can walk on the glaciers. There are warning signs advising people not to go as people do get killed by walking too close to the terminal moraine, but if you are very experienced, properly equipped and above all not alone you can climb the glaciers - obviously not where the guided walks go (and not using the steps cut by the guides!!).

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,917 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unguided walk through glaciers

Do you have glacier climbing experience?

Ice climbing in the States on fresh, fixed ice is considerably different from glacier ice which could well be rotten, fragile and full of hidden crevasses. And please don't even think of going alone - you need to be teamed up with a fully experienced and equipped partner.

sadly, sometimes the best laid plans go wrong odt.co.nz/regions/…climb-goes-wrong-tourist

safe travels :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unguided walk through glaciers

This is a bad idea that could lead to NZ rescue people putting themselves in danger while they search for your body. The terminals of the glaciers are very dangerous places.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unguided walk through glaciers

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to anything technical. I was just trying to see if there was something simple (such as the cut out steps) that people can do without having to pay.

5. Re: Unguided walk through glaciers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:31