We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive to fox glacier

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
india
Level Contributor
448 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
drive to fox glacier

hi everyone , i will be arriving in Christchurch in august i plan to spend 8/10 days in south island . i plan to drive from CHS to Queenstown i was planning to take a break journey at mt cook /aoraki can i go from here to Fox glacier and then proceed to queenstown .

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive to fox glacier

No. While Mt Cook and the Glaciers look very close on a map, they are seperated by a lot of mountains and no roads.

However, from the Mt Cook region, you can do a short helicopter ride over the glaciers and back.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive to fox glacier

you could drive to Queenstown via Tekapo / MtCook, then from Queenstown, drive up the West Coast on your return to Christchurch and see the glaciers at both Fox and Franz Joseph, then via Arthur's pass to Christchurch.

The scenery is second to non in the world

india
Level Contributor
448 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive to fox glacier

thanks a lot of the valuable info , while i drive back do i need to spend the night or i can do the day trip and proceed to CHS

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive to fox glacier

You would need to stay the night.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive to fox glacier

My reply on your other thread -

By adding Fox you are adding a considerable number of kms to your trip and severely reducing time to explore.

1 arrive Chch

2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook or Tekapo

3 drive to Queenstown

4 bus/cruise/bus Milford Sound, stay Queenstown- 13 hour trip

5 drive to Wanaka

6 drive to Fox

7 explore, drive to Hokitika

8 drive to Chch

9 fly home

My suggestion; leave Fox for your next visit :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive to fox glacier

As it is August, generally the roads are ok, but do keep an eye and ear on current weather and road conditions. If delays are expected particularily on alpine passes, then you may need to leave something off to ensure you reach chch in time for your flight out.

On the west coast, it is one of the driest months and you may even have a drought ( three weeks with no rain)

Have an awesome holiday

Limoges, France
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: drive to fox glacier

Presuming this trip is now over. Can you advise me.

We're arriving QT early 9th March(for a 9 day trip)getting a car and driving to Te Anau in order to do Milford Sound (overnight trip we think!) Te Anau/QT when we get back from trip (don't know what time that is ). Qt for a few days.

Then either Mount Cook or Fox glacier. What do you think......as Wannakalakes says we don't want to be travelling all the time

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive to fox glacier

Misterjess, since your question is new, and more general than just Fox Glacier I suggest you repost as a new question on the SI forum with more details about your interests and where do you fly out from?

9. Re: drive to fox glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:17