We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan 2 days in glacier country.

ireland
Level Contributor
349 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me plan 2 days in glacier country.

My husband and I will be in glacier country for 2 days in January. We will leave Hokitika early on Jan 17 and move on to Wanaka on Jan 19 so we will have almost 2 full days at Franz and Fox. Perhaps someone can answer a few queries.

We do not want to walk on the glaciers. We also may not be able to afford the helicopter trip. We would really love to walk around Lake Matheson at dawn so are considering staying in Fox village. Is this a wise move? That way we could do a hike at Franz on day 1, move to Fox for overnight, do the lake walk and then another half day hike from the village.

Does this all make sense? What half day hikes would anyone recommend? 4-5 hours, up or down is ok, we are reasonably fit.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,459 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan 2 days in glacier country.

The two walks I have done are both near FJG - Alexs Knob & Roberts Pt, but staying at Fox makes sense if you want to do the early walk at Lake Matheson.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

2. Re: Please help me plan 2 days in glacier country.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 20:15