We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Hello,

I need some advise for my trip itinerary. Initially we planned to stay overnight at Wanaka Lakes from Mt Cook before heading to fox glacier. We plan to do the half day glacier walk at fox glacier. Shall we stay overnight at fox glacier rather than wanaka lake before we do the half day glacier walk onnext day as we are not sure what time is the walking tour start. Afraid that we dont have enough time to do it if stay overnight at wanaka as it take few hours drive to reach fox glacier. We will be travel to new zealand on mid august. Thanks

Sharyn

California
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

So, you want to travel from Mount Cook to Fox Glacier in one day, and in mid-winter? Uh, no.

You might want to post your complete itinerary.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,632 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Wanaka or Lake Wanaka - there is no Wanaka Lakes - is a full days drive to Fox.

You are best to go

Aoraki/Mt Cook

drive to Wanaka

drive to Fox

hike

Best to post your full itinerary so we can advise you fully.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Hello,

Thanks for the advise . My initially plan is as below

Depart from Christchurch

Lake tekapo (1night)

Mt cook (1 night)

Wanaka / fox glacier (2night)

Heading to Queenstown

I checked and knew that most of the glacier walk start in the morning. Hence I don't think we can put a night at wanaka before heading to fox glacier as the it take few hours drive for the journey. I understand that is a crazy long journey drive from Mt cook to fox glacier. Shall I still put a night at wanaka or is there any alternative place more nearest to fox glacier we could stay. Or should we skip the fox glacier from this trip which I don't wish to skip it.

Really need a great advise. Thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

You are staying at both Mt Cook and Tekapo which are relatively close together and then doing a huge haul through to the Glaciers. I would choose to stay at one of the above, then stay at Wanaka and then go on to the glaciers.

Do you intend to go to the glaciers and then back to QT? This is senseless back tracking. Are you able to do a loop? Chch to the Glaciers via Arthurs Pass, Wanaka, QT, then on to Mt Cook and back to Christchurch?

Could you stay in Wanaka, drive to Fox, stay at Fox, do the half day walk the next morning and then depart that day for wherever? (Or do in reverse).

As someone has already said, if you posted your whole trip, it might help to get a sense of how much time you actually have and what can be moved around to make the best route.

California
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Telly, I'm wondering if that is the entire trip. Are tickets already purchased for arrival Christchurch and departure Queenstown? And how many nights in Queenstown? Are you staying the night at Lake Tekapo for the observatory's stargazing tour - which to me is the only reason to be spending the night there. Be advised that there is a stargazing tour at Mount Cook, although the viewing, I believe, is through a telescope on a tripod and not a large observatory.

Haast pass, between Wanaka and the West Coast, is a long drive and not something you want to do twice in a short trip. If this is a one-way holiday from Christchurch to Queenstown, you might want to give the glaciers a pass. Your other option is to reroute down the West Coast and skip Lake Tekapo/Mount Cook.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. Now I decided to skip mt cook and will stay overnight at wanaka before heading to fox glacier and put a night there after that. I noticed that most of the glacier walking tour start in the morning. Is there any tour that will start at noon time for the half day tour. How long it take for the half day walking tour. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Foxguides offers a half day Fox Trot tour at 1:35, and half day helihike (Flying Fox) at 11:50. Check their website for further info:

http://www.foxguides.co.nz/our-trips

But if you originate in Wanaka and drive there at a safe time after 9 or 10am, you won't get there until mid-afternoon. Best to spend two nights there.

And I think Mount Cook is the better destination over Lake Tekapo.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 18:01
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,632 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

What time of the year do you plan to travel?

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

Thanks for the advise and it help a lot :)

10. Re: stay at wanaka or fox glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 10:16