We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

I am sending my age 71 and 72 parents to NZ in a few weeks. Which glacier is the best to see? They would not be interested in helicopter and don't need to hike on the glaciers. Can you still walk out to see the glacier face and how long and how easy is the walk? Also which township nicest to stay in for 1 night (probably the previous night in Hokitika and the next night in Wanaka)?

Thanks for opinions.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

Hi,

Fox to walk to the terminal face without a guide and the Lake Mathesion walk.

Cheers,

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

I totally agree. It is a bit of a climb to see the terminal face at Fox but this 67 year old with a bad knee was able to do it. Perhaps a walking stick for stability would be good. The walk is less than an hour even at a slow pace. We drove to Fox from Punakaiki with an extended lunch break in Hokitika. We arrived at Fox at 4:30 and had time to walk to the glacier face and back before dark. This was in late August.

The walk around Matheson Lake is wonderful. We went in the early morning and we could see the top of Mount Cook and had wonderful mirror images. We then drove to Wanaka which is a beautiful town.

Fox is quite a bit smaller than Franz Joseph but is closer to the above attractions. We had a decent room at the Bella Vista and there are several restaurants to choose from.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 15:05
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

We stayed at FJG earlier this year, the walk to the glacier was easy, there are lots of restaurants to choose from and there are the hot pools at Franz :)

We stopped of in Fox on the way to Wanaka it seemed a lot quieter, the only thing I didn't like about FJG though was the constant thrum of helicopters.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

We did the valley walk (free) and Franz Josef and it took about an hour and was pretty easy although very rocky. We also did the Fox Trot tour onto the ice at Fox Glacier. The walk to the terminal face was much steeper here but still stunning. And the bonus with Fox as Mary Ann said is you can also do the walk around Lake Matheson which is amazing.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

How did they go? I am thinking of a similar trip with >60 year olds

California
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

Curly, I answered a query of yours on another thread. I see you are reviving threads about Fox/FJG that are several months old. Let me advise you that around March or April of this year, Fox experienced a slip that made the terminal face rather unstable. So there are no longer the full day walking tours that took you onto the ice.

As it stands right now, the only way to walk ON the glacier is to take a helicopter flight. That applies to both Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

You can see trips that are currently offered at:

http://www.foxguides.co.nz

http://www.franzjosefglacier.com

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

Thank you deschenke,

That is really good to know

8. Re: Fox vs Franz Josef for >70's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2015, 06:16