We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Matheson

NC
Level Contributor
534 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Matheson

Any idea what time we'd have to leave Lake Matheson in order to make it to the Fox Glacier office for the all day hike by 9:00 AM? I'd really like two shots at seeing Lake Matheson in case the weather is bad the first day but I also read that conditions on the glacier are generally better early. I don't mind getting up early to see the lake but with the sun coming up later in April, I'm thinking it wouldn't be up high enough in time to see the Lake in all it's majesty AND make the 9:00 deadline. I'm also thinking taking the 10:00 tour isn't likely to make that much difference in weather, no?

Oz
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Matheson

Hi,

It is only a five minute drive........well maybe seven if you are in a Motor Home, between the two.

Cheers,

California
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Matheson

True, but you have about a 20 to 25-minute walk to either of the viewing platforms - that's each way.

NC
Level Contributor
534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Matheson

I decided to email Fox Guides and ask what time the sun comes over the mountains this time of year. They said it's between 8.00 - 8.30am. Once daylight savings ends on the 6th April the sun will be getting over the mountains between 7.00am - 7.30am.

Perfect. That should be plenty of time to get to the far side of the lake and make it back for the 9:10 hike. I love it when a plan comes together!

4. Re: Lake Matheson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:16