We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

Hi Guys,

I am visiting the Fox Glacier on the 4th of August. I read on NZTA about the recent road closures between Haast and Makarora at 4.00 P.M and 4.30 P.M. I was wondering if I can into the road from the Haast end before 4 P.M and still get out of Makarora and reach Queenstown the same day. If anyone who has experienced a similar situation or anyone who has info about it can help us, your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,521 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

Haast to Queenstown takes at least 3:30 hr, usually longer and it is dark by around 5:30 pm so you would need to be away from Hasst by about 2pm to avoid driving this scenic road in the dark, which would make it 3pm at the Gates of Haast. Any itinerary that has you driving country roads in the dark in NZ (apart from motel to dinner) is badly planned.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 20:22
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

Thank You zhuhai2007 for the info. I have planned accordingly to start early and return early.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

Sorry to be riding on your post, I am traveling to Wanaka tomorrow and wonder if the road is close? I am confuse after reading the website …govt.nz/traffic/…south-island.html

It says: "Rock falls. Due To Slip Next Update Thursday 31st July At 12pm. This Section Of Road Will Be Closed Every Night From 5pm To 9am At The Slip. The Road Will Close At Haast At 4pm And Reopen 8:30am. At Makarora The Road Will Close At 4:30pm And Reopen At 8:30am. Delays Or Closures May Be Necessary At Other Times In The Event Of Further Heavy Rain Or Slips."

So is it close or I could pass? As it is raining quite heavily today, on and off though. Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

as long as there isn't another slip, the pass remains open through the day, closed overnight.

So yes, God willing, you can get through tomorrow :)

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

We didnt have any major issues when we travelled in August but still the road closures were in action but I wouldnt recommend driving at night anywhere in NZ. All single lane roads and no barricades between the to and fro traffic plus rainfall everywhere which makes it really hard to drive especially when trucks passby. The wind is really strong as well. All these are secondary, the main thing is if u drive at night you are going to miss some beautiful sceneries the middle earth has to offer.

Brussels, Belgium
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

I just booked my accommodation in Fox Glacier and here is the information I received from them

If travelling to Fox Glacier from the South ( ie Wanaka) on state highway 6

this road over the Haast pass closes at 6.30pm Daily at Makarora ( Approx. 1 hour 15 minutes drive from Wanaka)

this road reopens at 8.30am

the closure is due to a landslide still in need of repair

Repairs due to be finished early November

Please arrange your travel accordingly.

7. Re: Haast pass and Makarora Road Closures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 05:16