We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best short walk at Fox Glacier

Gerringong
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best short walk at Fox Glacier

Yes I understand that a guided tour is undoubtedly the best way to see Fox Glacier properly, unless of course you were going to do a heli-hike. So given that I realise that that is the case, and assuming that neither of those is an option, there are a number of short walks that leave from either Glacier Access Rd or Galcier View Rd. I'm wondering which of these, out of the River Walk, Fox Valley Galcier Walk or the Chalet Lookout Walk would be the best one to do.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

Hi,

IMHO the two "best walks" at Fox are from the town through the rainforest to lookout adjacent to the terminal face of the glacier and the Lake Matheson circuit.

Since the retreat of the glacier has made the terminal face even more unstable than usual it is now only possible to access the glacier by chopper.

Cheers,

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

We took the two walks Ozrcflyer mentions and they were excellent. We arrive in Fox fairly late in the afternoon and just had enough time to walk up to the glacier face and back before sunset (late August). We walked around Matheson Lake early the next morning. That is a beautiful walk in a serene setting. We were lucky that the clouds stayed off the peak of Mt. Cook and we got to see the images in the mirror lake. It is worth getting up early to do this.

Gerringong
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. Yes I was planning to do the Lake Matheson walk. Is the rainforest walk the one officially called the Minnehaha Walk?

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

This may or may not be too late for you goddo555 ... but here is a good website for all the walks around the area

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

Ha...guess it might help if I actually 'posted' the link...

glaciercountry.co.nz/things-to-do/…

6. Re: Best short walk at Fox Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2015, 07:15