We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glaciers in May

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
114 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Glaciers in May

Hi, I searched but could not find much info on the general condition of the access roads as well as the glaciers (both Franz Josef and Fox) in the month of May. Coming from a tropical country, not much experience in this. I will be visiting NZ South Island for 2 weeks in mid May and would like to know both would be worthwhile visiting without much hassle.

Thank you.

NetMaestro

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glaciers in May

Both glaciers are easily accessible year round. IMO both are worth a visit. If you're interested in taking a guided glacier hike or a helihike, I'd suggest you plan on two nights in either Franz Josef or Fox Glacier village, as the weather can be iffy and cancellations are common.

If you just want to walk to the terminal face of the glaciers, you can easily do both in the same day if you plan well, as they're only 40 minutes apart (drive time), but you'll probably still want to spend at least one night in the area.

Suggest you dress in layers and expect some rain.

Have fun!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
114 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glaciers in May

Thank you. I will probaby do just that, stay two days as my itinerary is flexible.

NetMaestro

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glaciers in May

Both the access roads are fine, but sometimes they are subject to being blocked by landslips, particularly if there has been heavy rain. If this happens, the roads are generally cleared quickly without too much inconvenience.

I would certainly recommend doing one of the guided hikes - they are really informative and you will see ice like you have never seen it before.

Highly recommended also are the hot pools after you have done your hike.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glaciers in May

Would love to hear more about these hot pools, as I've apparently missed them on my previous visits to the glaciers.

5. Re: Glaciers in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 18:19