We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

The Fox Glacier hotel was a pleasant surprise, since I last stayed there in december, the refurbishmentisnow complete, and really does do justice to such a historic building. trouble when you sleep so well, there are several hours which one cannot lavish in the knowledge of being in such an awesome place. When one is awake most of the night, one can hear all the sounds etc.

After a huge cooked beakfast, some of the team did a scenic helecoptor flight, but with the cloud base lowering, they were fortuneate enough to take in al the sights of the longest Glacier in the region.

at 9.30 we all reported to Fox Glacier Guides, where we were rigged up with boots and wet weather gear and anyother equiipemnet that may be required. we were introduced to the team from the CEO and down. then into one of their fleet of buses to take us to the Glacier car park. We were divided into two groups of equal numbers, but we could choose, either with a young female guide, (around 25 perhaps) or an 'old guide',Rodger, who is 60. I thought to my self about the joke about the young bull and the old bull, so i decided to go with the old bull,at least i would have a better chance of keeping up.

so off up the river bed and past the barriers where people are advised to never proceed beyond unless with a guide.

we were then told that ahead of us were were about to climb 700 steps, about 300m above the river bed before entering the ice.

even considering our stops to take in the view and short rests to make sure our hearts didnt overwork, by the time we reached the glacier ice, we were right behind the team with the young bull. so the theory was right about the young bull and the old bull. slow and easy did it.

theice wasnt significantly different to that of franz, but

the views of the surrounding mountains was quite different when viewing the huge glacial scratches horizonaly done by pre historic gian glaciers maybe millions of years before. The walk down was also 700 but we didnt need to stop for as many rests.

www.foxguides.co.nz Half day hike

Adult: NZ$ 89.00 (GST incl.)

Children: NZ$ 65.00 (GST incl.)

Family: NZ$ 243.00 (GST incl.)

( Valid from 1 Oct 2008 to 30 Sep 2009)

A short dive to Vist Lake Matheson and enjoy a coffee and bite to eat at the matheson cafe, A new building with awesome views of the mountains and farms. the weather was beaking, and with so many old bulls in the team, there was to be no walk to the lake, we would only be able to imagine any reflection as we could no longer see the mouny=tain tops and the wind and rain was increasing.

back to franz joseph, and check out the hot pools which were newly opened in May 2009. what a way to soak those aching muscles which had never climbed a mountain for many years. Beutifuly set in the the native rain forest, and about 40 degrees.

the amazing thing about how these pools operate is that each day the water is fully removed from the pools, filtered, then stored in an insulated holding tank till the next day. It is easier to maintain temperature ( use less energy in heating) than leaving the water in the pools.

www.glacierhotpools.co.nz

Adult Single Entry $22 . 50

Child Single Entry $16 . 00

Private Pool - 45 Minutes $40 . 00

(Price per person, min 2 persons, includes public pool entry)

Accomodation for the night was at the franz Joseph Glacier Retreat, a huge modern country lodge set in 300 acres.

There is a wide range of accomodation with each room being named after peioneers of the glacier region

All beds are King size in the luxury rooms one complete with four poster bed.

the full cooked breakfast

Prices range from $350 - $750 per room per night

The road back to Greymouth was at a leisurly pace stopping of the greenstone carving studios. twice daily, a half hour tour telling of the history of Pounamu aka greenstone, jade, nephrite jade.

the tour showed the huge greenstone boulders being cut down using diamond tipped saws, down to the production of pendants and jewlery plus sculptor work.

the familarisation was through Tourism west coast with members involved in the tourism industry from accomodation to photographic studios, activities to transport

transport for the familiarisation was provided by west coast shuttle

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

a great trip report Coaster. Very informative and very inspiring :)

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Thanks Coaster - an enjoyable read, and makes me want to come back for another visit already!! The hot pools sound like a great addition to the glacier experience!

Port Macquarie NSW...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

I wanna go back!!!!!!

Thanks for the update. We loved Fox Glacier & were blessed to have a perfect clear day there for a flight & amazing reflections at Lake Matheson.

Sounds like you had a good time & really appreciated those hot pools- another one for our "next time" list.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Thanks Coaster for posting your West Coast reports, I know how long they take to do. Lots of good information for first time(and repeat)visitors. So what was the one most memorable thing you did?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Most memorable and most enjoyable are two different things.

Most memorable would be climbing 700 steps to go on the ice at Fox Glacier.

Most enjoyable was the soak in the new hot pools after the climb

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

I meant memorable Coaster! You weren't meant to be enjoying any of it, it was all in the name of work, right? ;)

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Hi Coaster,

We are planning on doing this 1/2 day hike with our kids in November. Do you get to see much of the ice - as in any ice caves or anything? I have seen a 3/4 day hike advertised and wonder whether this will take us higher up the glacier. I'm a bit concerned about the 700 steps! Fingers crossed for an "older" guide!

Michelle

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

The ice changes all the time. as for ice tnnels and caves, we found more doing the heli hike at franz, check my other reviews where i have included a vidieo of one of the tunnels, but it showed only half of it. with heli hiking, it does save the problem of walking halfway up a mountain. heli hiking is available at both fox and franz

at fox, once up the 700 steps, yes there is a lot of ice to see and explore.

take to older guide if he is available, but atthe end of the daym they do take great care of their clients.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Great work perk I have to say!! But with your terrific reports they are getting their money's worth I would say. ..

thanks another informative and enjoyable report :o)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glacier Country (Fox and Franz joseph) part 2

Thanks for your kind comments. It was a difficult time of the year for me to take off particularily due to the adverse weather conditions affecting the Arthur's pass route.

Many of the activities, while they may appear to require a lot of energy, can be done by people of all ages as long as they have moderate mobility.

It isnt High End Adreniline Junky stuff, but enough for the younger ones to enjoy and us older ones can still keep up

Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef