We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth going to the Franz Josef Glacier?

Reading
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is it worth going to the Franz Josef Glacier?

Hi there,

We are going to be in New Zealand for the first three weeks of of Nov. We have 1 week on the north and two weeks on the south island.

With this short time scale, is it worth going to the Franz Joesf Glacier as i have heard the weather can be very changable. Also we will be driving from Kaikoura, so not too sure weather it will be a misues of two days of a short holiday.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Ajay

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth going to the Franz Josef Glacier?

November the weather is much more settled, than september spring rains.

check my post from early july

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k2918…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g609170-i10880-k29…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k2924…

I have also added some photos on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157621014871180/

fox Glacier hike follows up beside the glacier in the rain (temerate)forest. then you access the glacier in safety away from the terminal face

Kaikora to franz, consider stopping a night at Hanmer Spring, have a soak in the hot pools. It is too far to drive in one day otherwise

have an awesome holiday

i hope that helps

2. Re: Is it worth going to the Franz Josef Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 07:17