We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to work out where to park our campervan overnight in the Fox Glacier area as we will be doing a half-day glacier tour. I figure we might stay at a Caravan Park the night before the tour and a DOC camp afterwards. We liked the sound of the campground at Gillespies beach but I am wondering if it is easy to get to in a campervan and how long it would take to drive there. Any info you can give me is appreciated. We liked the sound of seal colonys on the beach? We live on a beach, but I get withdrawals if I'm not near one for an extended period of time.

Regards, Michelle

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,396 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

Hi Michelle, I was at Gillespies Beach a few months back and don't recall the road being particularly bad, just narrow. But I drive a Jeep and so get through just about anything. The road details are here...

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

Okarito has a camping ground. it's about 10 minutes north of FJ. Otherwise you will find the DOC staff in the FJ visitor centre helpful. There are always a few campervans freedom camping in this area. (But NOT at the lagoon) The heliport is a popular spot but it's a wee way from the beach.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,190 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

The DoC campground at Lake Mapourika is also a good choice. We heard kiwi across the lake at night. Not quite the ocean, but you can swim there.

Okarito
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

You will have NO problem driving a camper to Gillespies Beach. You will have no power points but a great location.

Penguins, seals and old gold mining relics make this a great place to stop if you are self-contained.

Well done in choosing Fox for your half day glacier experience. They have excellent ratings on www.rankers.co.nz

They also have just won a tourism award.

If you like campsites by the beach, Okarito has just been voted one of the Top 10 campsites for the Country.

Okarito is an hours drive North from Fox.

Ian

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

Thank you all...you have been amazingly helpful as usual. Can't wait to get there...only two weeks to go.

Michelle

6. Re: Camping at Gillespies Beach DOC site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef