We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

I am considering doing the Ice Climbing at the Glacier but cannot find any decent information on the fitness required. We are reasonably fit but I am concerned that Ice Climbing may require a lot of arm strength to pull yourself up with the Ice Picks? Can anybody advise me of how hard they found it to be?

Thanks

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
343 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

Like with rock climbing, you should aim to support most of your bodyweight and do most of the climbing with your legs. But you will be using your arms most of the time, and they will get tired. If you think you have weak arms, do some strength and stamina exercises and you will enjoy it more.

Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

Thanks, I think I will work on the arm strength just to make it a little easier on myself.

Townsville...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

Hi OzDel, when are you going ice-climbing? My partner and I are going in 1 month and I will be interested in hearing what you thought of it and the fitness level required. Good Luck!

4. Re: Ice Climbing - Fitness and Strength required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 18:15