We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef or Fox ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Franz Josef or Fox ?

Hi

At the moment ive got time to visit both Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers but if i had to make a choice and see only one - which in TA's opinion would be worth visiting ( again i know everyones opinion is different).

Ive been to quite a few glaciers in south america but dont want to think in the way of " seen one seen them all" as I love them.

Thanks again

Jeff

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josef or Fox ?

Consider doing both of them, even if it means driving to the car park at each of them, which is only a short detour from the main road.

You could do a heli sight seing or heli hike on one, and a half day hike on the other.

they are both different. for the half day hike, my preference is teh Franz Joseph Glacier.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josef or Fox ?

Thanks for your advice Coaster2 - appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josef or Fox ?

My preference is Franz definitely, but it would be great if you could see both, they aren't that far apart. We hiked up Franz and choppered up to top of Fox, so we saw different aspects of them both. Also, the town at Franz is way nicer, more restaurants, hot pools, etc, than at Fox, which is a bit daggier. Cheers!

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franz Josef or Fox ?

Hi, you also can see the previous post in this forum.

tripadvisor.com/…36913757

5. Re: Franz Josef or Fox ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef