We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half or Full Day Hike at Franz Josef--how fit is fit?

Lake Arrowhead...
Level Contributor
66 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Half or Full Day Hike at Franz Josef--how fit is fit?

My husband and I (61 and 57) will be there in mid-March and are debating between the half and full day glacier walk. We've read as many reviews as we can find about how strenuous the full day walk is, but it's all pretty subjective. We live in the mountains, hike frequently and are in good health, but aren't super fitness fanatics. It sure sounds like there's a lot more to experience with the full day, but after reading that some of the much younger, self-described "fit" reviewers were challenged, we're a little concerned about trying it.

Any advice on this one? Much appreciated! alison

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half or Full Day Hike at Franz Josef--how fit is fit?

The half day at Fox is a reseonable work out, but certainly nothing that anyone should beconcerned about as they take the party at the rate of the slowest walker. either way, only half the trip is going up the glacier. the full day is more relaxed, and they take what ever time is needed. You describe yourself as fit and do regular walks, which tells me you will have no difficulty at all.

you could consider a hele hike, which gets you further up the glacier with no effort at all,. check my pics and videos below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157621014871180/

Lake Arrowhead...
Level Contributor
66 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half or Full Day Hike at Franz Josef--how fit is fit?

Thanks so much for your input. We decided to go for it and signed up for the full day hike. After seeing your photos, we can't wait to see it all--thanks again!

3. Re: Half or Full Day Hike at Franz Josef--how fit is fit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:32