We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef to Motueka

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Franz Josef to Motueka

We are driving from Franz Josef to Motueka in one day.

What is the best route and where should we stop for lunch and scenic views?

Thank you for your kind assistance

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

That's a fairly long drive(but do-able) It is also quite simple asa you head up the coast. I would take in the drive from Greymouth to Westport as it takes in an amazing piece of coast and Punakiki. (Punaki has very poor choices for food)

Once you leave Westort you come inland a bit, (I'm sure Coaster will give you the road numbers) Once you get to Murcheson it's through an unpopulated bit of the country untill you get to Motueka.

Depending on how you are going for time I would have a picknic just north of Greymouth (lots of places) and a meal in either Westport or Murcheson. I have written reviews fo a cafe in westpor and a pub in Murcheson. I particuarly enjoyed both.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

Thank you for such a speedy reply.

This sounds like very good advice. I will check your restaurant reviews

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

Hold on a minute as I may have put you wrong. The route I have given is not the most direct, but it is by far the most scenic.

According to google maps the most direct route is via reefton, by passing Punakiki and the coastal strip. Even then it is 467 km and 6 hours without stops. I'm not sure how much extra I have added. IMHO the Punakiki bit is one of the nicest drives in the SI. Lonely Planet puts the Drive from Greymouth to Punaki in world top 10.

The drive from Greymouth to Reefton is also quite nice but you wouldn't have the variety.

The road from Reefton or Murcheson to the motueka vally while nice does creat some "are we there yet" moments.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

We have planned on a long drive,leaving Franz Josef early in the morning and checking in at our B&B around 5:00pm. The scenic route is the most appealing.

Thank you

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

when you get to Kohatu, turn left and take a short cut to Motueka, it saves going almost into Nelson then back along the coast

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

NZMike57: members are going to be scratching their heads when puzzling over their maps with some of your place name spelling! LOL

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

Thanks for the tip. At that point in our drive we will want to fast track our trip.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

I am getting used to the names no matter how spelled.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

Fair comment Foxy I will take it all a bit slower. :)

10. Re: Franz Josef to Motueka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:24